Chapter 15

Zeke stood in the doorway of the living room and surveyed the scene before him. Gavin and his friends were sprawled out over the living room floor asleep. They were supposed to be separated, but they seemed not to care about his request.

He saw Gavin's beanie-clad head resting on Emily's thigh. He had two pillows tucked around him. He was holding one and the other was at his back. It was like he slept in their bed, except his big u-shaped pillow wasn't the one he'd brought down.

He walked through the throng of people and knelt down. Running his hand along Gavin's back, he watched him sleep peacefully. He looked so at ease, and it made him feel like he was holding him back. He wanted the college student to feel at ease no matter what he did.

"When did you get home?" Gavin muttered. His eyelids fluttered before they lifted to show his sleepy brown eyes. "You said you were going to be home early."

Zeke smiled and caressed his face. "I'm sorry. The weather was pretty nasty when I got on the tarmac. We had to wait for thirty minutes before we could taxi." He looked around at the other three still asleep. "Why aren't you upstairs where it's comfortable?"

"We were playing a game. Davis went to sleep first. The three of us were talking and naturally fell asleep." He lifted his arms and pouted cutely. "Help me up."

Zeke wrapped his arms around his back and lifted him up. Gavin surprised him by kissing him as he stood. He smiled into it, deepening it as he did. Gavin pulled away and rested his forehead on his check. Zeke held him close for as long as his arms would let him. When they started to burn, he set his feet on the floor and held him to make sure he was steady.

"Did you eat?" he asked.

"We snacked, but I wasn't completely hungry. I've drunk like four bottles of water though."

"Come on." Zeke led him to the kitchen then pointed to a chair. "Sit down."

Gavin did as he was asked. He watched Zeke move to the fridge and grab the oat milk. He went to the pantry behind him and grabbed the powdered peanut butter and chocolate protein powder. He brought them back to the counter where he slid the personal blender to him. Measuring the milk, he poured it in with both powders then he sliced a banana and tossed it in as well. He turned it on and watched it for a minute or two. Satisfied, he turned off and stuck a straw in it.

"It may not be as good as Mrs. Morgan's, but I tried," he said.

Gavin accepted it and took a sip. He nodded as he rolled it around his tongue, savoring it for a minute. "It's good. Add a little more milk so it's not as thick next time."

Zeke nodded. He watched Gavin drink it slowly. He was tired and sitting on his left side gingerly. He had a biopsy done the day before and the entry point had to bother him. He blinked slowly as he tried to blink the sleep out of his eyes.

"Gavin, I need to tell you something," he said. The young man looked up at him with his straw sticking out of the side of his mouth. His brow was raised in a question. "Evaline Rodgers will be joining us for dinner tomorrow."

"Who is that?" Gavin asked.

Zeke licked his lower lip slowly. "She was one of my lovers before you."

He watched Gavin's face go from completely open to completely closed. His eyes narrowed as his mouth tightened into a thin line. Zeke had never seen him look like this before, and it was somewhat unnerving. Gavin drained the cup and pushed it away from him. He got up and left the kitchen.

Zeke followed him, watching him walk awkwardly up the stairs. He kept a more sedate pace behind him until they got to the bedroom. Gavin turned to him and motioned to the door with his head. Zeke opened it and walked in first. He flinched when he heard the door slam. Gavin sat on the edge of the bed and glared at him.