Chapter 9

Gavin felt like shit. He'd had another round of chemo, and he felt worse than he did the first day. Emily had driven him like last time, but this time she hadn't had time to get his homework. He'd had to walk across campus for it this time. That had taken its toll all on its own.

He had given in to Zeke the night after throwing his guts up. He hadn't felt like fucking around, but the older man had been very persuasive. It had taken a long time for Gavin to come, but Zeke hadn't seemed to notice. His pleasure had wrapped him in a heavenly fog that he barely noticed when Gavin had gotten up to throw up again.

He'd called Anderson Reed to ask how long the side effects would last. The good doctor had told him everyone was different, but if he was already feeling the nausea, then he would probably be sick after every round. He reiterated the need to drink plenty of fluids and eat when he could.

Mostly Gavin was weak. It took a lot out of him to walk down the stairs. He was winded when he made it halfway down. There wasn't a bedroom downstairs for him to crash in so he had to make the fifteen-stair trek each time he wanted to sleep. He could sleep on the sofa, but he would be in the way of everyone. He just wanted some peace and quiet.

Zeke had cancelled their appearance at the event on Saturday. He had sent a hefty check as an apology. Gavin hadn't been too sick, but Zeke hadn't taken any chances. They'd stayed home and watched a movie. The popcorn hadn't tasted right, but he'd forced some down just to keep up the façade.

It was Saturday night, and his body was rebelling. He lay on the couch with his head propped up on his arm as he tried to keep his head from exploding. He had a severe migraine that was making him nauseated. It didn't help that it was a nice day out. He'd rather go out on a walk than be stuck in the house, but he didn't think he could make it.

His rescheduled birthday dinner was supposed to be that night. He didn't want to reschedule it again, but he didn't think he could manage it. He would have to answer a million questions so it was just easier to have the damned thing. He could suffer for a few hours then go to bed. At least Emily would be there to help.

He felt a heavy hand on his forehead. He opened his eyes and looked up as his head was massaged gently. Zeke stared down at him, his mouth drawn into a tight line. He sighed as he rounded the edge and sat down by his hip. His big hand trailed down to his face, and his fingers rubbed gently circles into his cheek.

"Are you still sick?" he asked.

Gavin nodded. "I think I caught a bug or something. I called Dr. Reed, but he's not available until Monday. If it doesn't let up by then I'll go see him."

"Alright. Do you want to cancel dinner tonight? We can have something simple."

The younger man shook his head even though it hurt him to do so. "No, I'll be okay. I'll just take a nap. Don't freak out if I don't eat too much."

Zeke sighed and leaned down to kiss him softly. Gavin smiled a bit when he pulled away. "I'll ask Mrs. Morgan to make soup and sandwiches for dinner. What kind would you like?"

"Anything is fine. Can it be flatbread with turkey and tomatoes?"

"Yes, it can be that." Zeke reached over him and pulled down the throw. He draped it across him, making sure to tuck in the corners so he didn't catch a chill. "I'll tell everyone to leave you alone so get some rest."

Gavin smiled and watched him walk away. He was being gentle and cautious, something he had never seen Zeke be. Usually he was coarse and very direct. He got what he wanted, and he worked hard to get and keep it. He was a very popular man who everyone wanted to be associated with, but most balked when the realized how demanding he was. Seeing him settle down because of an illness was refreshing but somewhat scary. What would he do when he really found out what was going on?