Chapter 20

Gavin was surprised to be back in New Orleans. He watched the Crescent City come into view from the window of Zeke's private jet.

He had had another round on Wednesday like they'd planned. His body was stiff, but he somehow had permission to fly. Zeke had to promise to get him to a hospital if something happened. Tulane would be the best option so the billionaire had put it on his speed dial.

Zeke gripped his hand tightly as the plane made its descent. Gavin knew it was to make sure he was okay. Gavin was fine. He just hadn't thought he'd return so soon. He really hadn't really thought he would be able to fly.

They hadn't discussed what had happened in the study. Zeke had held him tightly every night since then. Gavin loved being loved, but he had some questions he wanted answered. He wouldn't bother Zeke with them just now, but eventually he would ask those questions.

"Are you okay?" Zeke asked. Gavin looked at him. His face was drawn in concern, his light eyes darker than the early morning sky. "You've been quiet."

"I'm a little tired. Plus I didn't think I'd be back here so soon," he replied. He looked out the window again. "I never thought I'd see Louis Armstrong again."

Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport was New Orleans busiest airport. Gavin had flown out of this airport many times before on family vacations. The last time he'd flown out hadn't been for vacation. It had been to move to the northeastern part of the country because he'd thought he'd been sold like a slave. If he had known then what he knew now, he probably wouldn't have been as upset.

"Zeke?" he said. The older man hummed at him. "What if the contract was just a ploy?"

Zeke shuffled beside him. "What do you mean?"

"What if my grandfather found out that I was gay and plotted to get rid of the stain on his legacy? That could be the only reason I can think of why he would put me in the contract that dealt with the company."

The billionaire crossed his feet at his ankles. "Are you saying you were already playing with your sexuality before you moved in with me?"

Gavin nodded. "I never dated or slept with anyone, but I also didn't chase after girls. I just kind of looked and went to bars on the weekends. I was too shy to say anything to those I found attractive." He rolled his head to look at the older man. "I don't regret it so don't start overthinking."

Zeke laughed. "If anyone over thinks it's you."

They smiled at each other just as the captain asked them to buckle their seatbelts. From there things moved quickly. They landed on the Tarmac, taxing easily to the airport. Zeke helped Gavin stand despite the younger man's protests. They went straight to a car, hiding in the cool air against the suffocating humidity.

Since their luggage would be dropped off at their hotel, the car took them immediately to Duquesne Construction. Zeke watched the emotions fly across Gavin's face as he watched the city he'd been raised in fly by his face. It had been over a year since he'd last been here. The city hadn't changed, but he had.

"I used to think this place was boring," he mused. His voice was low and somewhat tired. "I went out and did the same thing every night and every weekend. I went to Tulane and floundered through classes because I didn't have a reason to pay attention. All I needed was the degree. Now looking at it from an outsider's point of view, it all seems so different than what I knew."

"I think you've done pretty well," Zeke reassured.

Gavin nodded at him, face tight with emotion. "Grandpa won't go down without a fight. He has a contingency plan. He always does."