Chapter 6

"Gavin, this is Dr. Anderson Reed. I need you to call me so we can schedule you to come in for your results."

Gavin sat alone in the waiting room. He had been in class when the doctor had called. He had called them back and had scheduled a meeting after school. Mr. Sampson hadn't asked too much, but he had wondered what was going on. Gavin had said what he knew; it was for his test results. He thought it was simply something to do with his blood glucose and other things so he wasn't too worried.

Zeke had called while they'd been on their way. Gavin had told him the truth, and the older man had asked him to keep him updated. The young man knew he was just going through what had happened at the doctor the first time. He was certain everything was alright, but he wanted to hear the doctor out before he made any changes.

Once Zeke was satisfied, they continued on to the doctor where Gavin was now. He sat beside an older lady and listened to her talk about her grand-kids and what they were up to now. She asked about his major in college and gushed about her son who was a doctor in upstate New York.

He liked listening to her. She reminded him of his grandmother in Louisiana. She was very frank about how her children behaved and whether or not she liked them. Cynthia was the same way. She talked about her child as if she had made the worst decisions known to man, but she gushed about her when she was talking to everyone else. Gavin was the poster child of his family.

He missed his family. Being in the Northeast had changed him and he wasn't certain it was for the good. He was alone, and sometimes he didn't have anyone to talk to. Zeke was always busy, and Gavin knew what he would say. At least he thought he did until the other night. But he didn't talk to his family much. He was an hour ahead and had to turn his phone in each night before bed. He could use his laptop but most of the time he was studying well into the night, or until Zeke came to bed.

Anderson walked out with one patient. He helped check her out and smiled as she made another appointment for a later date. He turned and spotted Gavin. His smile faded, and Gavin knew something was wrong.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

Gavin nodded and stood. He followed the doctor to his office. The last time he'd been in Anderson's office had been when he'd come with Zeke. He'd been made to come in and meet the doctor personally as Zeke's newest lover. Anderson had given him a physical in front of Zeke to make sure the older man knew he was in good health. Since then, he had come alone with Zeke being able to see his results online.

Anderson sat behind his desk and pulled a folder from a tier beside him. He set it on the desk before him and sighed. Gavin knew that kind of sigh. It was the same one his mother had given him before she had told him he was moving and transferring schools. That sigh meant Anderson didn't have any good news in that folder.

Their eyes met and Gavin knew he needed to brace himself. Whatever was about to come at him, he could handle it. He'd done a good job this far. Whatever the doctor needed to say, he would not lose his cool.

"This is hard to say but..."

~~~~~~~

Zeke knew something was wrong when Gavin came home and didn't find him. He'd told his assistant to tell the young man to come see him when he got back. He'd seen the car pull up on the security camera and had seen the man get out of it. He knew it took twenty steps to get into the house, and his assistant would meet him just inside the door. He should have been in his office by now.

He fought the urge to go find him when thirty minutes had passed. Maybe he had to go to the bathroom. Maybe he wanted to shower before he came to see him. He gave him some time to do whatever he needed to do before he sought him out. He thought it would be only fifteen twenty minutes, but an hour passed and he didn't hear anything.