Chapter 11

"I should beat you senseless," Zeke threatened. He sat across from Anderson in the coffee shop sipping his latte lazily.

His friend looked up from his tablet. He locked it then leaned back in his chair. "Why? Because I didn't update his chart or because I didn't tell you when I found out?"

"Both."

"Zeke, I don't have to tell you anything. I can very easily keep everything from you because of doctor/patient confidentiality. The only reason I do is because that kid knows how overbearing you are. He doesn't want to argue with you."

They stared at each other for a long while. Zeke knew he was right. Anderson wasn't obligated to say anything about Gavin's medical history. The only reason he did was because Gavin gave him permission. If for any reason he decided to rescind that permission, Zeke would never know what's going on with the younger man.

Anderson sipped his coffee then set the cup on the table. "How is he doing? This week he doesn't have treatment, does he?"

Zeke shook his head. "No, he doesn't. He's on fall break this week. It gives him a chance to rest."

"You haven't been overbearing with him, have you?"

Again, another shake of the light head. "No. I've left him alone. I just make sure he tries to eat and drinks plenty of fluid. He sleeps most of the day."

Anderson nodded absently. "He's going to need a lot of sleep. Chemo kills good cells and bad. When he goes to the hematologist, they will check if it's working or if he needs a bone marrow transplant."

"Bone marrow transplant?" Zeke asked. Anderson nodded solemnly. "What is that?"

"That's what this type of leukemia is. It starts in the bone marrow, or the soft part inside the bone, and invades the blood. Since bone marrow forms the red and white blood cells and platelets, it is quick to invade the body. Gavin's is chronic meaning his symptoms didn't present themselves as quickly as an acute type. The only way we found it is because I noticed a bruise on his butt from where you were a little too violent." Zelo had the decency to look contrite. Anderson didn't have to take his head off. "He said it'd been there for a couple of weeks. Instead of looking like the yellowish-green of a healing bruise, it was still black and blue."

"Would hickeys do that?"

"Deeper ones can, but the ones I saw that day were light brown. They were already healing so I wasn't as concerned."

Zeke inhaled deeply and released it just as deeply. There was so much he didn't know about this disease. Gavin had kept it a secret for two weeks because he hadn't known how to handle it, but what about Zeke? How was he supposed to deal with a diagnosis he had no idea about?

Anderson watched his friend. He saw all the emotions fly across his face at one time. Most of his patients who had found out they had a chronic or terminal illness had this exact same reaction. How did they deal with it? What was the course of action? How did they tell their family so they would have the support when they needed it? All those questions and so many more flew out of their mouths as they tried to comprehend the change that was about to come over them.

In reality, he didn't have the answers. He had science. That's all he could go on. The family was the major factor in a patient's healing process. They were the ones who kept the appointments, made sure the patient took the medicines, and held the hair as it was shaved off. They were the backbone of the treatment.

"Zeke, there are support groups for families and partners of patients. You can always find one and plug in," Anderson said. His friend looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "It helps loved ones feel more in control of an out of control situation. He's only going to get sicker before he gets better. And you can't do it alone."