Chapter 12

Gavin wasn't on the couch when Zeke came home. He had to go to his office for his laptop and flash drive. Emily had shown up as he'd been leaving, and he'd left Gavin in her care.

He hadn't had much of a choice about going out. If he was going to work from home, he needed all the files and paperwork to work from home. He could have sent Martin, but he needed to address his employees as well. He needed to tell them he wouldn't be in the office for a while and if they needed anything they could call him. No one had asked him questions, but he knew there would be rumors swirling around. As long as no one pried, he didn't care about them.

He had plenty of emotions rolling around his head. Could he be what Gavin needed? Could he do what he needed to do for his company and take care of him? Would he have to give one or the other up? So many things whirled around in his head that he didn't want to think about them.

He took a shower in his office so he didn't take anything upstairs and tossed his clothes in the laundry. He changed into something comfortable and went upstairs. He rapped on the door a couple of times, waiting for a voice to allow him entrance. When he didn't hear one, he opened the door.

There was buzzing coming from the bathroom. He knew what it meant, but he didn't want to believe it. He walked to the bathroom door and leaned against it. His heart sank because he knew it was true.

Emily steadily ran the razor over Gavin's head. Most of his dark curls already lay on a dark towel on the floor. She was removing the rest slowly. Zeke watched his face in the mirror. He was crying, big tears rolling down his face. Emily was crying as well, but she wasn't as silent about it.

Zeke had known Gavin wanted to shave his head, but he hadn't thought he'd do it at home. He thought he'd take him to the salon and have a professional do it. Now that he watched the whole scene, he realized Gavin needed to do this with a friend. He didn't need a stranger cutting his hair because it wouldn't be as personal. It wouldn't mean anything.

The razor was cut off. Emily brushed the stray strands off Gavin's shoulders and removed the other towel. He opened his eyes and stared at himself in the mirror. There were no words, but the look on his face was disastrous.

Emily gathered the towels and walked over to Zeke. She looked over her shoulder at Gavin as he sat in the chair. "He wanted to do it without you here," she whispered. "He didn't want to feel pitied. I told him that wasn't the case, but he wouldn't listen. I hope you're not mad."

Zeke shook his head as every emotion tore through him. "No, I'm not. I appreciate it actually."

She smiled tightly. "Don't tell him, but Davis and Jetson have shaved their heads as well. He didn't tell them to do it, but they wanted to support him. They also said for you not to do it because he needs some semblance of normalcy. Also, they want to know if we can come for dinner this weekend? We haven't seen him since his birthday."

"Ask my assistant for my number. We'll plan it out."

Emily nodded and excused herself. Zeke looked back into the bathroom, waiting for any response from the other man. Gavin watched himself in the mirror for a long time. Between the port surgery and now shaving his head, things were becoming real. He was sick, sicker than he had ever been, and he was having to take care of himself in ways he never thought he would have to.

He finally looked at Zeke. The older man tried to hold his composure as the young man's face fell apart. He started crying harder with gut-wrenching sobs shaking his shoulders. Zeke went in and gathered the man to him, tucking his face into his shoulder. He could hear the desperation in his voice and the sheer terror behind his cries.

Gavin didn't say anything. He gripped Zeke's shirt so hard the owner thought he was going to rip it. Normally he would be upset because it was a designer, but in this instance he couldn't find the anger. All he could do was hold the broken man as he fell apart.