fourteen - twitter

After the previous days spiral of events, Maely expected everything to somewhat cool down.

However, it didn't occur to Maely that the fans of 5 Seconds of Summer spread rumours (no matter how big or small) faster than wildfire.

Being a child deprived of social media access, Maely had never truly understood how the world of the internet worked.

So, when she woke up the following morning to the sound of Michael yelling from the next room for her to 'come quickly', a twitter outbreak was the last thing that Maely expected to be faced with.

Sleepily, Maely dragged the doona off of her body, the cold hitting her like a tidal wave. After hearing more shouting coming from the lounge, Maely's feet quickly found the floor and they managed to guide the rest of her body towards the source of the noise.

As she entered the kitchen, Maely heard the previously loud chatter subside and felt all eyes fall on her pyjama-clad body. Pulling the sleeves of her oversized jumper over her tiny hands, Maely rubbed at her tired eyes in an attempt to rid them of the crusty sleep that stuck to the corners.

"Good morning," Luke greeted awkwardly, the other two boys staring at Maely as if she were Kurt Cobain come back from the dead.

"Morning," Maely smiled back. She quickly walked over to where the three boys were sitting at the dining table, gathered around Michael's huge new iPhone 6. "Michael told me to come quickly?"

All eyes now turned to Michael, who coughed awkwardly and nodded, "Yes, um, well - you see-"

"There's been a twitter outbreak," said Ashton, finishing Michael's sentence for him.

"A... twitter outbreak?" Maely asked, confused.

"Yes, a twitter outbreak." Ashton nodded in confirmation.

"...what's a twitter outbreak?" Maely asked.

"When something blows up over twitter," Luke explained, "Meaning, the fans go a bit overboard and get into fights with people and spread rumours."

"Okay..." Maely nodded, seeming to understand, "So, what's caused the outbreak?"

The three boys shared a knowing look, before Michael slid his phone in front of Maely, "Why don't you see for yourself."

Maely peered down at the phone, which was open on the 'Twitter' application, and slowly began scrolling.

'Calum and 5sos' new "photographer" earlier today'

'Oh my god, she's disgusting'

'Look at what she's wearing'

'If Calum's standards are that low, surely I'll have a chance'

'Boo, you whore'

'Gross'

'Why is Calum around her!?!?'

'She's SO batting above'

'Her face looks like a kids colouring book'

'Die'

'She looks like she just got hit by a bus'

'Dig a hole!'

Maely gulped, her heart dropping as she read the seemingly never-ending list of comments about her and Calum's 'relationship'. To make matters worse, there were pictures plastered all over Michael's twitter timeline of Calum and Maely's outing the previous day.

Seeing her sudden change in demeanour, Luke quickly plucked the phone from her grasp, "I think that's enough of that."

"A-Are you okay?" Ashton asked, seeming nervous about her reaction.