fifteen - friends?

For Hamish - gone too soon. May you Rest In Peace, knowing that you are and always will be so, so loved.

Maely woke the following morning, expecting a terrible pain in her neck, but found none. She had fallen asleep on Calum's couch the previous night, enveloped in a mountain of blankets, with her head resting awkwardly on the arm of the sofa, leaving her neck open to injury.

However, the only thing that was injured was Maely's head when she sat up and banged it on something hard and wooden with a loud thump.

"Ow!" Maely cried out in pain, clutching a hand to her head as she shrunk away from whatever she had banged her head on.

Low, muffled groaning came from across the dark room, followed by rustling. Maely squinted her eyes to try and see, but the darkness made it like looking at a black wall.

"Who's there?" Maely called out, shifting uncomfortably on what felt like a bed beneath her.

"Shut up," A voice groaned - a very familiar voice.

"Calum?" Maely asked, her eyes still scanning the room helplessly.

"I'm trying to sleep, dammit," Calum sighed before Maely heard more rustling and suddenly a bright LED light shone up towards the roof, illuminating the room and revealing Calum's tired face, "What's wrong?"

"I..." Maely mumbled, looking around the room tiredly. She recognised the room as the bunk rooms in one of the buses. How had she gotten here? Maely was sure that she'd fallen asleep on the couch.

"Are you okay?" Calum asked, his expression suddenly becoming concerned as Maely struggled for words.

She looked up, seeing the wood planks that held up the top bunk and realized that that was what she had hit her head on.

Pointing her finger upwards, she said, "Yeah, I just hit my head."

"Oh..." Calum nodded, biting his lip lightly, "Well, is your head okay?"

"Yeah," Maely nodded awkwardly, "Um... Calum, how did I get in here?"

"W-What do you mean?" Calum asked, although he knew exactly what she meant.

"Well, I fell asleep on the couch... and now I'm here..."

"Oh, right, um..." Calum's cheeks tinted pink, and Maely could clearly see it even in the dim lighting, "Well, I-uh, I moved you."

"You... moved me?" Maely questioned, her eyebrows rising in surprise.

Calum nodded, avoiding eye contact as his cheeks reddened further, "I, um, I picked you up and put you in bed. I didn't want your neck to be sore in the morning."

Maely looked down at herself, noticing all of the extra blankets covering her body, "I didn't have any of these extra blankets."

"I, um, didn't want you to get cold," Calum said, scratching his neck awkwardly.

"Oh," Maely nodded, "Well, thankyou."

"No problem." Calum replied, the redness in his cheeks slowly subsiding.

The pair sat in awkward silence for a couple of minutes before Calum cleared his throat.

"Well, it's quarter-to-six and we have to leave at six-thirty, so we should probably get up." Calum spoke, breaking the silence, as he stood up from his bed.

"Leave for where?" Maely asked, leaving her comfortable bed as well, to her dismay.

"Denver," Calum answered simply, "It's around 12 hours on the bus."