sixteen - jealousy

"Jealousy is a complex emotion that encompasses many different kinds of feelings that range from fear of abandonment to rage to humiliation. Jealousy can strike both men and women when they perceive a third-party threat to a valued relationship, it can be a problem among siblings competing for parental attention, or envy for a wealthier more successful friend. Conventional wisdom holds that jealousy is a necessary emotion because it preserves social bonds. But jealously usually does more harm than good to relationships, and can create relationship conflict and violence."

  ×××  

When Maely awoke, it was not because of the sun streaming through the cracks in the curtains that tickled her eyelids open. It was not because of the smell of a delicious breakfast wafting into her nose, beckoning her to awake. It was not even because her body had decided that it was time for her to face the day. No, when Maely awoke, it was not in any naturally occurring way - although she would've like it to be.

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!?" A voice bellowed, interrupting Maely's sleepy dreams.

Maely was now in an awful state between sleep and consciousness. She could feel something warm on the right side of her body, and across her stomach. She could hear the soft noise of what sounded like snoring next to her. She could smell something minty right near her face - and she loved it.

"What's wrong?" Another voice called out, followed by a loud thump. Maely was slowly gaining consciousness now, and she could feel the warmth next to her stirring as well... if warmth could even do that.

"Look at this. Look at it!" The first voice yelled.

"Aw, it's so cute!"

"It's not fucking cute, Ashton. I knew he would try something, I knew it."

"Calum, just leave them-"

The warmth beside Maely had now disappeared completely, and she heard an extremely loud thump against the floor. Her eyes fluttered open slowly as shouting began to fill the room, and she sleepily sat up and rubbed her eyes awake - although she wished that she could've stayed asleep, because the sight before her was horrifying.

Luke was cowered on the floor, the collar if his t-shirt being fisted roughly by an infuriated-looking Calum, who yelled ruthlessly at the poor blond boy, while Ashton and Michael screamed at him to stop.

"Calum, what are you doing!?" Maely cried out, jumping up from her bed and tugging at his arm - although it was no use. 

"He fucking slept with you. You slept together. In the same bed!" Calum yelled, his nostrils flared and his breathing heavy, as if it were the worst thing in the world.

"So!?" Maely threw her arms up in frustration - she couldn't understand why Calum, who claimed to hate her guts, was getting all upset about Luke and her sharing a bed.

"I'm going to kill him," Calum growled, yanking the blond up and slamming him against the wall.

"Calum!" Maely cried out in protest.

"I warned you, Hemmings," Calum spoke lowly, his voice filled with anger, "I told you not to try anything."

"Calum, please!" Maely begged, tugging at the boy's arm. "Please!"