Pippin Imagine - A Good Morning

*** requested by PetertonysonStark09

You felt awful. Absolutely terrible. It was as if death itself had decided to take residence in every part of your body. Whatever illness that had decided to embed itself inside of you was unrelenting. 'That's what I get for not putting a coat on in the rain' you thought to yourself, but the thought was quickly swept away by a wave of pain in your head. Around you, everyone had begun to stir awake and get ready for the day ahead. You and the Fellowship had been inching closer and closer to the Misty Mountains, which meant rainier days and colder air. That combination led to your current situation. With no true intention to pick yourself off the group and join the others in their pack, you laid back down with a huff. You just wanted sleep. And to feel normal.

The group moved about you, barely taking note of your condition (please don't blame them, they had a busy day ahead of them) while gathering up their belongings. Only one seemed to notice you weren't with the fray. Pippin, your childhood best friend along with Merry, had figured out what was missing from his usual morning routine. It was you! Your bright smile, optimism and bubbly attitude that seemed to lighten even the grumpiest of the Fellowship. Not hearing your giggles or content sighs had thrown him off for a bit until he was finally able to put the pieces together.

Pippin had always taken a liking to you. Back at home, if he wasn't with Merry, he could probably be found somewhere in your company. Most Shirefolk preferred you two together since you seemed to have a better influence on Pippin than his dear cousin. But when all three of you got together - that was the definition of mischief right there. In fact, you were with your two best friends in Farmer Maggots field when your ran into Frodo and Sam, also two of your friends (how popular you are!). That's how you ended up here, sickly, on the ground wishing for death to claim you. And that's how Pippin found you when he walked over to your bedroll.

"G'dmorning, Y/N!" He offered cheerfully. Usually you'd respond with your own happy greeting, or a laugh or a smile, but not today. You offered him a groan, and turned your head to the side.

"Uhm . . . not such a good morning then?" He asked quietly. With your eyes closed, you couldn't see how concerned his face got. His blue eyes squinted, and his brow furrowed deeply. He called for Strider (now also called Aragorn - "When did that happen?" Pippin found himself asking) to check on you. In reality, you really didn't want Pippin to see you like this. You've liked his since you were both 10. Here you are, years later, and nothings changed. If you didn't feel so awful, you'd probably be kicking yourself mentally for acting in such a way in front of him. However, the illness made your care a little less about that and more about the pain in between your eyes.

Aragorn knelt down beside you, taking hold of your hand with one his own, and lifting his other to your forehead. You heard him hum, deep and thoughtful, until both of his hands left you and he seemed to have stood up.

"Is she alright? Should she rest? I won't leave her! Do I need to carry her? What should -" Pippin questioned quickly, but was cut off by Aragorn chuckling. "She'll be just fine, I assure you. It's just a little cold. This place is nothing like the land west of Bree, I can't imagine you Hobbits are used to this climate."

A cold? A COLD? You were sure you were dying. Your body had began to shake. You felt hot and cold at the same time, and you could barely get air into your lungs. You opened your eyes a bit to look at the tall man above you, and mentally prayed he would take pity on you.

It kinda worked. With a cock of his head, Aragorn breathed out "But I'll see if I or Gandalf have anything to make her feel better. Sit tight!" And off he went, to the other side of camp where Gandalf was staring down in thought. You sighed and closed your eyes once more in a vain attempt to stop the throbbing you felt in your head and chest. You didn't want to be a bother, after all. Before you could get another thought out, you heard a plop from beside you.

Pippin had sat next to you, seemingly from nowhere. You could have sworn he went with Aragorn. More so then that, he had his own blanket with him. He covered you with it, muttering something like "you need this more than me." As he adjusted it around you, your eyes met his. You silently thanked him, and he nodded back to you. His hand stayed in your back, where he'd been adjusting the fabric not two seconds ago. It was comforting, and in due time Aragorn came back with something to help you.

Soon enough, whatever you were given took away some of the bite the illness seemed to deliver. When you were able to pick yourself up off the ground, Pippin helped you every step of the way. He got your stuff together while your freshened up a bit and got some food in your belly, which you didn't know if it would actually stay down there. When it was time to get going, you were hesitant. But Pippin room you hand in his and led you on towards the back of the group. "It's just so I can keep a better eye on you," he would say when you glanced down in between you two. He kept your pace, asked how you felt and if you needed anything, and felt your forehead with his hand from time to time. Later on, when you felt wheezy again, Pippin left you only for a second to trot up to Aragorn and ask for some more of whatever he gave you this morning. And back he brought it, and soon enough you're symptoms felt tolerable again.

This went on until the group finally rested at nightfall. You had managed a lot better than you thought you would this morning. Perhaps it was the aid that Aragorn gave you. Or maybe it was a certain curly-haired hobbit who led the way for you. When you had settled, he offered to get everything for you. "Let me take care of you for once," he said softly. You could have sworn he looked down to your lips, but the glance was so quick. He tenderly cared for you through the evening, and even offered to take the first watch of the night. By this time, you felt as if you'd never been sick at all. You tried to sleep, but couldn't. You knew Pippin was watching you, but it wasn't creepy or anything. He was making sure you were alright. But you had no notion to sleep, so up you got, and with a cloak of his blanket he lends you earlier, you sat beside him.

"Are you feeling any better now?" He asked anxiously. He was nervous you'd still feel sick, and ask him to leave you alone so you could bare it by yourself. He never wanted you to deal with such a thing with no help. In fact, he found himself never wanting to leave your side. He stared at your face intently, and as your eyes met, you spoke.

"Very much so! My head doesn't hurt as much, and my chest feels lighter, and I'm not hot nor cold nor-"

You were cut off by Pippin staring down at your lips. This time, he wasn't as quick. You decided not to draw attention to it, following with "But I suppose I have you to thank for that, Pip."

He breathed out a laugh and replied "I only learned it from you. You're always taking care of Merry and I at home."

"I don't mind." You answered, and it was true. You loved taking care of your boys, but one a little more so. Looking down, you noticed his hand rested against the log you had both sat on. As you spoke, you put your own on his. "I've never minded. Especially when it comes to you - not to say I enjoy when you get hurt or sick! I just enjoy your company." You stumble out.

"And I yours." He replied gently. Your heads inched closer and closer. Pippin began "Y/N, I need to tell you, I need you to know-" But he never finished. Your lips had met silently, softly, moving together in sync. It wasn't aggressive or hurried, it felt more like adoration or appreciation. You'd waited a long time for this, and it seemed he did to.

In the light of the fire, you two joined like that for some time, only breaking apart for the occasional breath or off-hand noise from the woods or your sleeping friends. When you did finally stop, you rested your foreheads a gain at each other, smiling like idiots. You looked at him through your lashes and whispered "What was it you needed to tell me?"

Pippin thought for a moment, then grinned in that Took-ish fashion. "G'dmorning Y/N!" He giggled out. You never wished him a good morning! After all he'd done for you today!! You tried your best to contain your laughter, and he followed suite, until he held you close to him as you muffled your fit of laughter into his shoulder. Even after you stopped, he continued to hold you. You weren't complaining. Snuggling in closer, you sighed out "Good morning, Pip." Safe in his arms, you soon fell asleep, feeling the best you had in months.

*** first story in 7 years!! What do we think? I hope I got your request right!!! ***