Thranduil Imagine ~ Part 3

Staring into the eyes of the man you used to love, many different emotions slammed into you at once. Confusion, fear, regret, pity, affection, the strongest being relief. Relief that he was alive. Relief that he was outwardly alright. He had not fallen victim to the whims and tricks of the Dark Lord. He was still here, and for that, you were thankful.

You stared back at him, unsure of what to say. Or more like where to start. What could you say to him? You left him all those years ago, when Thorin Oakenshield and his company had reclaimed their home, much to the chagrin of your (ex?) husband. You found it unjust for Thranduil to be so hellbent on stopping them after the dragon was slain. That was not the man you'd fallen in love with so long ago. That was not the man you had watched fall into despair and grief  over the loss of his wife, and then recover a stronger man than before. That was a man unhinged, cold hearted and unreachable. The man you had loved was seemingly gone. So, you left. And hadn't been back since.

He looked awful. His once broad shoulders sagged weakly. His skin seemed sickly pale, and his golden hair seemed poor reflection of what once was. His face was ghostly, with sunken cheeks and a permanent frown upon his brow. What scared you most were his eyes. They no longer shined their brilliant blue. Instead, they had turned a sullen grey devoid of emotion or feeling. You hardly recognized him.

You could guess why Mirkwood was empty. They had all left for the Undying Lands to the West. That was where all the elven folk were going. Rivendell had already started, and. Lorien was not far behind. You did not think Mirkwood would be full, but you certainly didn't think it would be empty. And you certainly did not think that the King would have stayed behind, sulking within its walls. What was going on?

"I sent them away," Thranduil replied, as if reading your thoughts. You half wondered if you had asked what had happened, but he continued.

"The land...it became too much. For them. For me. It is evil."

That was all the explanation he seemed willing to give. You continued staring at him. What now?

"Why are you still here then?"

The words slipped from you before you could catch them. Something flashed within his eyes. A good sign?

"You."

That floored you. That wasn't the answer you were expecting. You thought he would be angry, or aggressive, demanding to know why you left him and how you could do that to him. This was much different than that.

"I sent them away because I know that is what you would have done. What you would have advised me to do. You had done it already, so I knew the action must have had merit" he sharply offered. There was the anger you were expecting.

"Yes," you replied. Was that the best you could do?

"Yes, I did leave...but do not think I did so easily."

"Ha!" He spat. "You seemed to leave easily enough. The note you left was hasty. You barely explained why you were leaving. Or where you were going. Or if you would ever return! How could I not think you left without a second thought?"

"I had to!" You yelled back. "I could not stay here! Not with how you were! With what you were doing!"

You sighed. Even though you had imagined this scenario countless times in your head, it did not make this anymore easier.

"I wanted to come back. I tried coming back. But every time I did, I could not make it far. I could not come into these woods. I could not...." Your words faltered.

He looked at you now fully. He intently listened to you. You could not tell if he was angry or sad. Maybe it was both. Steeling yourself, you continued.