3

With a mask over my face, my face is protected from the blood that covers the walls.

I love killing. I can't stop. That small light inside of me that lights up every time I take a life is fucking addictive.

Aurora has been texting me over the last few days. Every message she sends is witty and almost manages to make me smile.

You are so interesting, Aurora.

Wait - fuck - Aurora. I check the time in a panic.

"Shit," I swear under my breath.

I step over the dead body and exit the house. I'm late to watch her get to work safely. She speeds while she drives, and I hate it. She could get herself killed. But all in due time, I'll teach her to value her life. 

Hypocritically, I speed while heading to her house. 

I feel relieved when I see her car just heading down her road. I keep my distance, like always. I don't want to scare her. Just protect her. 

"It has been reported that yet another life was taken here in New York City last night, all within the others that have been happening. Authorities still have no leads, clues, or suspects. If you have seen this psychotic killer, please do contact your local authorities," the radio host speaks, the sound radiating through my speaker.

I can't help but smile. Psychotic killer.

Is that what I am, Aurora?

Or am I just misunderstood?

Is it out of my control, because I was born this way?

Would you ever talk to me again if you knew what I've done?

She parks her car as she turns onto the road and jumps out. She wears a white dress with her brown hair straightened. I see that brown hair in everything that I do. When I'm making coffee in the morning. When I'm watering the soil for my plants. 

I see you everywhere, Aurora.

I park my car across the street. I don't want to go in - I just want to watch.

When I'm not killing, I'm watching her. The noises of the city fill my ears as I pull a cigarette out and light it.

The smoke dances into the air. She begins her shift, putting her apron on and getting started on making coffee.

It's seven in the morning, Aurora. You shouldn't be working. You should be at home, sleeping, while I cook you breakfast. You wouldn't have to work with me. I'd take care of you - you could stay home all day with your cat. 

She told me she has a white cat named Blanco. She talks about him like he's her best friend. 

Once my cigarette is finished I pull my phone out of my pocket.

I send her a text, 'Morning, Aurora.'

She continues making the coffee, and handing some to the people that enter to get high on caffeine before heading to the boring jobs that they're working in their graves for. 

But when she gets a break, she pulls out her phone. And she smiles while reading my text.

I make you happy. 

Would you want to visit France?

Fuck, Saint. Stop.

She types, her white nails tapping her phone over and over again.

'Morning, bodyguard. Dream of me?'

She continues smiling even after she sends the text and puts her phone back into her apron.