9

The carving I had done on Jordan's body had caused more disruption than I had realized. 

It was wrong of me to do. Sloppy. I was acting out of anger, not considering the effect that it would have on the investigation. I was acting emotionally, something unfamiliar to me since my frozen heart has only been freshly melted. I've now felt what it's like to make an emotional decision, rather than a logical one.

And it can't happen again. Because maybe I got lucky this time, but next time, I could not.

"Turns out Jordan Harbor had secretly been leading many women on online, telling all of them that they were in a committed relationship," I watch the reporter speak on the TV. "Investigations into all of these women have been ongoing, could the killer end up being a woman, after all?"

I abruptly turn the TV off as Aurora steps out of her bedroom, and into the living room. I can't have her hearing about Jordan getting killed, but the fact that we have plans tonight should make it quite easy to distract her so she doesn't check the news. 

"So? How do I look?" she asks, nervously. Her brown hair is wavy, and she wears a royal blue dress with sleeves, made of silk. Her heels are a matching shade, and all of her many ear piercings are golden. 

I can't help but lean forward. My lips part, and my elbows rest on my knees as I lean forward. I look up at her in utter disbelief. She stands there, playing with her hands nervously, as if unsure about her appearance. But I had never been so sure about perfection in my life.

"Jesus Christ, Aurora," I say breathlessly. To be in her presence is a gift greater than life itself. 

I slide off of the couch, and get onto my knees, before her. I look up at her, grabbing her hands in mine. To be on my knees in front of her is something only she could make me do. I'd kneel for her any time she'd ask, while I'd slit the throat of anybody else who even attempted to ask.

"You look better than perfect. So fucking perfect that a word doesn't even exist that can express your beauty," I tell her, my voice soft and sincere. "So let's make one. Aurora. Your name to mean a beauty so great it's unearthly."

She laughs. She shakes her head as if she were disagreeing, "I-I really appreciate it, Saint, but I'm not so sure."

How?

How can you look in the mirror and not see your beauty, which I'd die for?

I stand up. But not to my full height. I bend, to be at eye level with her, because I don't want to seem authoritative. Only genuine.

"You should be. Not a single thing on this earth exists that's more beautiful than you," I tell her. "No person, no flower, no gem, nothing."

Her cheeks turn a shade of pink while she smiles, and seeing her smile makes me smile.

"Thank you," she says softly, looking away to hide the fact that she was blushing.

But I already saw it, my love.

She takes a deep breath. 

"I'm still really nervous about this," worry pulls her brows together. "I...haven't seen her in a long time, and last time, it didn't go very well."

Don't worry, Aurora. With me there, it will be okay.

I don't care what I have to do for your love, Aurora. I don't care who I have to be. I don't care what I have to sacrifice.

All I want is your love.

It's like a drug that I want to be able to take a hit of every single day.