Chapter 21

Whenever I am alone, I do my most constructive thinking. My reality always seems to come knocking when my environment is quiet.

Today was supposed to be a good day, one filled with joy and a feeling of freedom. Emancipation Day they called it. I never thought much of this day since we are technically not free; a vast majority of us are still enslaved mentally, our government still stifles our potential as a country because of influencers who are not natives of our country. The fact that we have a 3 o'clock curfew because of the coronavirus made it even worst. The only regard I have for this day was to respect the people like Marcus Garvey, Bob Marley, and Buju Banton for trying to knock some sense into our nation. We are still not where they wanted us to be but thank God we are not where we use to be.

I was angry with Star boy for wanting to control his wife and me. He wanted the best of both worlds; he knows the effect he has on us, and he intends to use it to the best of his ability.

As I sat on the old flatty car in my yard front, I thought of how I wanted my life to be. I still wanted to leave this place, no one ever became a 'somebody' when they chose to stay in this community. The older heads fought hard to keep the younger heads beneath them to feel better about their life and their minimal achievements. I knew I was imperfect, but I also knew there was a lot out there in the world for me. God wasn't going to make me this smart and intelligent just to live such a mediocre life.

A WhatsApp message came in on my phone and interrupted my thoughts. It was from Star boy. He was wishing me a happy Emancipation Day. I hissed and rolled my eyes. This man wanted to control me, yet he chose to wish me a happy Emancipation Day, how ironic. I assumed he was mocking me or sending me an indirect message since I haven't heard from or seen him since I refused to fuck him and his wife the other night on such a short notice.

Star boy: Happy Emancipation Day. Freedom at last

Me: Well technically we are not free since people like you try to control us mentally and sometimes even physically too.

Star boy: Lol Glad you are alive and well

Me: Was I supposed to die?

Star boy: Don't do that.

Star boy: Why are you upset? What did I do now?

Me: Oh nothing, I know we all have our own life and obligations, but you could have at least returned my calls.

I knew a lie was coming next. That was something I came to realize about him, he will try to lie his way out of any situation even if it was a simple lie. I was convinced that he is a pathological liar.

Star Boy: Am sorry, my internet wasn't working. I missed a lot of business calls too.

Star boy: You should have called back.

Me: Sir I wasn't calling you on an internet call, smh. It is fine I don't have you up. We cool.

Star Boy: It's Okay still, you think am lying smh. Well have a wonderful day, I remember you said you can be cruel if you want.

His words made me anger. I decided to leave him on reading. I had no idea where he was getting at and I did not care to find out, what I knew was that my mind was slowly changing from him, and I no longer saw him as a 'potential babe'. I wasn't sure but something in my spirit told me he wasn't so much for me. Lately, all I felt was a trace of bitterness towards him and I saw his wife as the woman I never wanted to be, weak, vulnerable, and foolish.

The only thing that kept me hooked on Star boy was that he was a person of interest, and I was a nobody who desired to be a 'somebody'. I wanted him to help me get my business off the ground. I needed his expertise to build my brand.