Smoke and Mirrors🚬 (part 1)

[Name won't have any impact on story—just lazy]
.
.
.
Being apart of the Red army wasn't an easy task. The mandatory drills causing daily aches to your body and the constant blaring of sirens had deteriorated your ears. Comfort wasn't really a commodity, but to be fair you did live in an infamous army base, so it was to be expected.

The only staple solace you truly could revel in was your cramped dorm room bed, and him.

Paul had been one of the first people you had talked to since joining the army. He had trained you under the order of Red Leader, and had been your dorm-roommate for the past year and a half. Being that close physically everyday had instantly bonded the two of you together. One never straying too far away from the other and spending almost every free moment talking or joking around.

Because of this, missions apart were the hardest. You would become extremely paranoid without his presence and would keep to yourself more than usual while he became anxious and worried over your safety, muttering to himself about how you were doing. And when reunited again, neither would let go of the other until a heavily detailed inspection and 5 minute hug was initiated.

To any random person, you two would look like a couple, a thought that often planted root inside of your imagination and dreams.

But to those who were in the know, Patryk and Red Leader, they'd see you both as hopeless romantics who were so oblivious to one another's feelings that it was embarrassing.

You, sadly, had to agree. You weren't as secretive as you had hoped about your feelings, and Paul's growing affections completely flew over your head.

Today was just another day at the base, but then again it was also a special day, one you had been waiting on for a week: Paul was coming back.

He had been out on a research mission with Patryk and a few more soldiers to get updates on the rebel armies that had begun to pop up in closer regions, his scheduled return was supposed to last a few more days but his plane had been spotted early in the morning meaning he'd walk through those gates in less than 10 minutes and back into your embrace.

Over those lonely days you had decided to buy him something, you hadn't really thought of a good reason as to why you did but you just couldn't pass up on grabbing it for your returned friend.

It was a rare squashmallow  in the shape of a bear, the perfect addition to his ever growing collection. It was funny, on first impressions you would've never guessed that this scruffy-hardcore soldier would be so adorable and geek out on tiny stuffed animals. It was, cute...

You shook your head, tightening your grip on the wrapped up gift. Now wasn't the time to be thinking of mushy crap, your best friend was gonna arrive soon and he was NOT allowed to see you like this.

As if on cue, Paul's plane came into focus, landing down and slowing to a stop. One by one the soldiers came out.

Patryk was obviously gonna be last since he was the pilot and all, but surprisingly he came out second. Noticing you in the distance, he smiled and ran over, grabbing your hand and pulling you back towards the plane.

Curiosity had filled your entire body as you both came to a stop. Patryk was usually pretty calm and would almost never drag you around- that is, unless something was up.

Deciding it was a more positive 'something' by the huge smile plastered on Patryk's face, you turned to the plane as the final passenger got off: Paul.

It didn't take long for him to spot you, nor did it take anytime at all for the both of you to fly into one another's arms. His present abandoned at your feet.

His smokey-firewood scent filling your lungs instantly. Calming you like nothing else.

As you were clinging for dear life on Paul, you could feel something off about him. He hugged you tighter, put his face in the crook of your neck instead of level with yours.

It was, strange to say the least, but your emotions had gotten the better of your judgement and you just hugged tighter.

You both stood there for a while, until a meek voice broke the silence.
"I missed you so much Y/N..."
"I missed you too Pau"
Another minute went by and Paul lifted up his head, softly breaking the hug but still keeping his hands on your upper arms. A sly grin replacing his genuine smile.

"Now, routine check up...soldier" his cocky smile was infectious. The title given to you filled with sass, to which you playfully rolled your eyes to and stretched out your arms.

"Whatever you say, sir~" your tone wasn't meant to be that flirty, but when you saw a tinge of red cross his ears you knew he didn't mind.

The "routine checkups" you two had were mainly for you since Paul was more concerned for well-being when he was away. Not to say that you didn't, but you knew he was a very capable soldier and wouldn't get wounded too often. But when he did you were all over checking up on the rest of him.

It was usually just a small thing where he'd check all around your body for scratches, bruises, or tender areas.

Since being in the main base all the time, the most that would happen would be muscle soreness or headaches due to training. However, Paul never took a chance and always made extra care in looking for anything else.

"All right, we're all clear here. You may return to your original position" He patted your head, a common action he had developed over time. You giggled and looked down, finally realizing you had forgotten to give him his gift!

Swiftly picking it up, you held out the mini bundle to the larger brunette, who had just lit a new cigarette. He stared at the weird package for a second before registering what it was you were handing him.

Puffing out a cloud of smoke to the side, he gingerly took the present, shifting his cigarette to the side of his mouth.

Before unwrapping it he gave you a look, waiting for approval. You chuckled
"Just open it you weirdo!"

He stuck his tongue out, shockingly not dropping his cig in the process, and began removing the gift paper that surrounded the plushie. As it became more visible with the removal of paper, his smile grew. The last piece of wrapping had been taken off.

His eyes sparkled as he discarded the leftover packaging to the floor and held up his prize. Absolute child level excitement filled his body as he latched onto you again, only this time he had picked you up, swinging you around in a circle while laughing and thanking you over and over again.

—Time skip to your shared dorm—

"Ok I gotta know, where did you even get this?! This is like, the rarest squashmallow I know of!" Paul was beaming as he carefully placed his new prized possession on his bed next to his other 'mallows.

"I have my ways, connections" you lied, you had just found it at a nearby store and it was the last one they had, but he didn't have to know. You just wanted to tease him, knowing he wouldn't stop bugging you about it when he got the chance.

"I know that's a lie, you can't even talk to the lunch ladies without wanting to pass out!" Fair point, but ouch
"Rude." You turned your back to him, fake hurt in yoir movements
"D'aww I'm sowwy, did I huwrt yo feewings?" That voice, god did it annoy you.

Feeling the heat from his body come closer, you grabbed a pillow and smacked his face with it, knocking him back almost stumbling on his bed.
"Awe I'm sowwy, did that huwrt yo face?" You mimicked, jumping on your bed with the same pillow tucked under your arm.

"That's it..."

.........