8) Family Dinner

Wynter

Oh yea!
Did I forget to tell you that dinner was every night at the Claus Castle? And I don't mean jeans and a t-shirt, come as you are type of dinner. I mean formal, black tie affair, dressed in a ball gown with an 8 course meal type of dinner.

Every
Single
Night

"How about...we skip the formal dinner and go to elf village and grab something there to eat?" I suggest as I stare at Nick in the distance.

"Wyn...you know we can't" Nick adjusts his sharp blazer in the full legnth mirror.
I slip off the bed and walk over to him, wrapping my arms around him and pouting.

"No Wyn. Come on." He smirks and tries to push me away but I knew he couldn't resist my puppy face.

Fine, We'll go to the village." He sighs, kissing my forehead.

"Yay!" I jumped excitedly. I hated family dinner time.

"On another day!" He kissed my lips before going to grab his suit jacket.

"Ugh!" I groan before falling back into bed. "I j'y Why can't we skip it? I mean every night, don't you think it's a bit excessive"

"It's tradition" he shrugs.

"Tradition? Of course! How dare I." I frown sarcastically. He walks over and pulls me into his arms, pushing a loose curl from my forehead.

"You don't have to go. The Easter bunny is coming to discuss about factor inventory during his holiday. It's going to be boring talk so if you don't feel up to it—"

"No Nick...if you're going, Then I'm going." He smirks and pushes me toward the closer so I could pick out a dress and get ready.

——

Nick

Wynter and I came down the elegant steps before making our way to the dining room.

"I still have to get used to this"

I smiled as I saw the bright shiny crown atop her head

I smiled as I saw the bright shiny crown atop her head. She looked absolutely breathtaking. She wore a beautiful emerald green dress and I a black pantsuit with emerald tie. Wynter wanted us to match.

We came down and greeted my family and guests at at the table. Drew was already digging into his entree.

"You couldn't wait?" I frown, pulling out Wynter's chair so she could sit. He shrugged but continued.

I greeted my mother and father and pulled out my own chair before tearing into the bread. Wynter stared at Drew then me before sneaking a peek at my parents.
The room was eerily quiet and my parents were hardly giving her the time of day.

"Tense" Drew coughed. I smirked and Wynter giggled.

We were served roasted tomatoes, soft cheeses, and roasted elk for the entree. The Easter bunny and I continued a conversation about factory stock and inventory for his season.

"I just want to thank you Mr. and Mrs Claus for extending your beautiful home to us and having these dinners"

My mother sipped her wine and forced a smile while my father only nodded.

I grabbed her palm, reassuring her and and calming her heart.

"Look Wynter. To put it bluntly...we're not very fond of you" my mother blurted impatiently.

"Mom." I warned, trying to not let my rage show but I was becoming impatient. "The Claus family established themselves above voice other magical entities because our bloodline was pure. Now that you married into our family... well we're no different than the Frost family"

"Expect Jack Frost is kinda evil?" Drew quipped.

"I don't think we should be discussing this in front of our guests" I reminded her. But my mother was adamant. "Wynter, dear...I am trying but...you must give us some time dear."

"Time. Of course."

"It's not every day your son brings home a mortal and —"

"ENOUGH!" I fumed, standing from my chair.

Wynter's hand shook but she only nodded. "If you'll excuse me" she stood, scooting out her chair and storming out the dining room.

My parents didn't even move their heads to watch her leave.

"What has she done?!! Why do you guys hate her so much!!" I fume, throwing my napkin to the middle of the table.

"We do not endorse a relationship built on lies and deceit. Especially with a mortal." My father finally found his voice.

"And whose bright idea do you think it was to hire a fake fiancé?" my parents were quiet. "I don't care if you dissaprove of our union? I don't care if your disspointed. I've been disappointing you since I was 16000.
But what you're not going to do is disrespect my wife!"

"Your wife is mortal." My father says again.

"So what? She still breaths the same as we do! She bleeds the same way! What does her background have to do with anything?"

"She sure doesn't!
She'll age.
She'll die before you.
There will be no heir to the throne!
Can't you understand our disappointment?" My father lists his reasons as if he had been marinating on them.

"Nick. It was just last year you vowed to never date mortals...now look" my mother reminds me.

"No matter how much you sulk, no matter how cold you are to her doesn't change the fact that Wynter is the love of my life.
She is my wife
The mother of my future children and your daughter in law! Spirit of a Christmas or not, she will continue the legacy of the Claus line.
And news flash! If it wasn't for her I wouldn't even have my title right now.  You should be on bended knee thanking her!"

Silence hit them like a ticking bomb.

"Either get it together and accept her for who she is, or we're leaving this castle for good.
We can build another one in a few days far far away from the people who hate her."

"Nick!" My mother gasped standing from her chair, "you can't do that!"

"I'll take the staff and the servants and the guards. I am the reigning Santa and when dad gave me the title, he shifted all the power to me.
The factory will still be close and in proximity and we can build a life there. I don't mind"

"Nick! Think of the consequences of separating from your family!"

"Do you guys think if you ice her out then I'll what? Take your side? Promise to divorce her?
What good does it do showing  her disdain. You know I'll take her side every time. Forever and always. I love her."

I looked at my dad, making sure my threat was clear.

"But know this, if we leave you won't get to know her or me or our children. You will never see us again"

"Nick!" My mother was on the verge of hysterics."You can't do that son!"

"Watch me." I fumed before kicking out my chair and storming out.

Author Note
Do you think Nick is doing as much as he can to make Wynter feel welcome?