17) An old friend

Wynter

I stepped into the tall building and scanned the crowd for Lizabeth. It took me a few moments to spot her, but when I did, my heart leaped with joy.

Lizabeth was standing by the entrance, looking around for me, and when our eyes met, she started to run towards me.

"Wynter!!" She screamed. The two of us collided in a fierce embrace, laughing and crying at the same time. It felt like no time had passed and we fell into a comfortable rhythm of chatting and joking as we made our way up the elevator to the Nubia Cosmetics suite.

——

"Ahhh I missed you!!" Lizabeth says again, hugging me from the side before motioning me to sit.

"I missed you too!" I say, smiling.

"So what's up how's the wedding planning?"

"Horrible and great?" I lie. Lizabeth frowned as she heard my voice shake. Despite our distance, she could still read me like a book.

"Oh Lizabeth! Who am I kidding!
I need you Lizabeth!
I can pick a dress or food or the invitations!
I barely know what to do with my hair!
Curly or straight" I ask her, breaking my rant.

"Curly!" She snaps.

"See! I was going to do straight." I start to tear up,  "I need you" I frown. She smiles and pats my hand.

"Of course you need me! It's about time!"

"Ahhh I love you" we hug tightly. I knew Lizabeth would always be there for me. Why I doubted her, I had no clue.

"Okay so I have a project with a client in five minutes but after that, I'm all yours!"

"Lizabeth, your 2pm is here" the secretary's voice rings from the telephone.

"Oh here he is now! He says he knows you and insisted you stay."

"Let him in Gina" Lizabeth says into the phone.

"Really? hmm. I wonder who it is?"
Before Lizabeth could say his name, the room turns cold.

"Hi! How are you?" Lizabeth stands to greet him. I follow suit and smile, turning on my heel to face the man, but my world stops once I see Jack Frost enter through the doors.

"F-ck"

——

"Jack! So nice to see you again." Lizabeth went over to shake his palm.

"Again!" I yelped.

Lizabeth and Jack looked at me with concern.
Lizabeth friend but quickly chanted the subject. "Jack says he knows you Wynter? But he never says tells me how. He said you would tell me."

Sweat drips down my temples as I try to think of a lie. "Oh...I. Actually don't remember you sir. I'm sorry." I shrug.

"You don't Wynter?
That's Strange? That night we spent together in front of my fire in the north—-"

"North!! Ahh! I remember! Northdace!
It was a ski trip in Aspen Nick and I took ! We bumped into each other momentarily m.
He's nicks friend Lizabeth." I try to explain.

"Oh. But you met Nick...last year? so that means the trip must have been before you met Nick? Jack says he's known you for years?"

"Lizabeth you were always a stickler for details" I laughed nervously, "the better question is, what are you doing here?" I hit Jack's shoulder playfully.

"Oh! I thought Lizabeth was the best at what she does so I came here. I heard she planned your proposal with Nick. I want to work with the best"

"Isn't that convenient?" I mumbled.

"Very!" He smirks.

"Hey Jack? Can I talk to you for a minute?" I point to the doors, signaling him to follow me.

"Oh? I was hoping to finish my meeting with Lizabeth. Maybe later—"

I pull his collar and drag him out the doors.

"Ouch hey!" He chuckles, looking at me before purposely invading my space.

"What are you doing here?!"

"I told you Wynter. I'm interested in event planning"

"Liar!" I seethed.

He smirks and looks into my eyes.
"Eveyday your beauty grows" he whispers against my lips. He raises a hand and makes a flower appear, pushing it to my hair but I slap him off.

"There's cameras here! They'll see you and your magic" I clue him in. "And I haven't told Lizabeth anything yet, so you better make sure not a word comes from your lips"

"But I am a horrible secret keeper. I mean it was just yesterday that you found this?" He grabs me close, feeling the book behind my waist "Hmmm still warm. It was just opened."

I try to remain calm and push him away.
"I'm putting it back" was all I said.

"It's dark magic Wyn. Even I wouldn't be so foolish to use something like that"

"I have my reasons" I whisper, looking away to avoid his gaze.

"I'm sure you have questions. "

"I don't." I lie. I had more than enough questions to write a book but I knew I couldn't turn to Jack for help.

"Come to my castle. I'll answer evey question you have" he grabs my shoulders, holding me close.

"No! I'm supposed to stay away from you" I frown.

"Then why is it that you're always in my arms?"

I stare at him cautiously, He kisses my forehead before letting me go and  leaving to return to his meeting.