The Sound of Goodbye

THE SOUND OF GOODBYE
A CAMBIO AU

"You have to marry him, Camila."

It was a demand that tasted like bitter honey, a command that held the weight of generations and the sting of societal expectations.

Camila looked at her mother, searching for any hint of warmth or support in her eyes. But all she saw was the same steely determination that had been there since her childhood - the same determination that had led her mother to sacrifice her own dreams and desires for the sake of tradition and family honor.

"I don't want to, Mother!" Camila argued back. "I want to marry because of love not because of some fucking obligation shits!"

"Camila, language!" Camila's father quickly reprimanded her.

"How ironic, Father!" Camila rolled her eyes. "You're reprimanding my cursing but you want this arranged marriage shit to push through even if I don't want to"

"I understand that this is not what you want, my dear. But it's not just about us or our family. It's about preserving our culture and traditions." Camila's father let out a sigh, his expression softening.

"What culture? What traditions? All I see is a patriarchal system that oppresses women and forces them into loveless marriages for the sake of upholding some outdated beliefs." Camila scoffed, fist clenched at her sides, her nails digging into her palms as she tried to control her anger and frustration.

Her mother's eyes flashed with anger at Camila's words, but her father held up a hand to stop her from speaking.

"Camila, you may not see the value in our customs now, but one day you will. And when that day comes, you will thank us for arranging this marriage." He spoke in a tone that broke no argument.

Camila's voice trembled as she spoke.

"I can't marry Mr. Serrano, it's Vito Dela Cuesta who makes my heart race."

Camila's father's eyebrows shot up in disapproval, his eyes narrowing as he glared at her. Camila's own eyes rolled in annoyance as she met his stern gaze.

Camila could feel the weight of her family's disapproval and the pressure to conform to their old-fashioned views. It was a constant struggle, fighting for her own desires and independence in a rigid and judgmental society.

"Camila, don't you understand that the Dela Cuestas are our competitors and that they are very sketchy from the beginning." Camila's father said.

Camila stood her ground, her voice filled with determination.

"Father, I understand your concerns, but love knows no boundaries. Vito may be a Dela Cuesta, but he's not like the others. He's different."

Her father's face softened slightly, his eyes searching for any sign of deception in Camila's words. After a long moment of silence, he finally spoke.

"Camila, I want what's best for you. I want you to be happy, but you must understand that our family's reputation is at stake here. Marrying into the Dela Cuesta family could have serious consequences for us."

Camila took a deep breath and reached out to grasp her father's hand in hers.

"Father, I know the risks. But if we continue to live our lives based on fear and tradition alone, then we are denying ourselves the chance at true happiness and fulfillment."

Her father looked torn, his gaze shifting between his daughter and his wife. After what felt like an eternity, he sighed heavily, realizing that his daughter's words held a truth he couldn't ignore.