Chapter 27

A/ N -  as promised 🫶🏾

TW: end-ish of the chapter may contain scenes some could find upsetting  + brief mentions of violence in flashback #2

Like I said, don't hate me ❤️

~~~

Zane

I am my sister's keeper.

From the second my mother placed Isabella into my arms when she was brought home for the first time, I'd sworn to protect her for the rest of my life.

And that vow hadn't changed in the nearly 18 years she'd been alive; even when she wasn't with us.

Being the oldest meant one thing and one thing only - look after them with every aspect of my being.

I'd kill or be killed for my siblings.

~

"You said we were having mac and cheese!", I placed the second pizza on the table in front of everyone and dropped into my seat in between Isabella and the twins' high chairs, "I don't want pizza".

"Shut up and eat it Cubby", Prescott told the 7 year old, I watched him huff and reach forwards, taking a slice.

I actually was gonna make everybody mac and cheese like I promised, but I burned my hand with the hot water so it didn't go to plan.

I was babysitting everybody while Mama and Dad went on a weekend trip, I was happy they trusted me to look after everyone because I was only 12, but it was a lot to keep up with and I kinda wanted them to come home now.

My stomach was rumbling, but I had to feed the little ones first before I could eat...they couldn't really do it themselves yet.

"We'll do mac and cheese tomorrow", I scooped some mashed potatoes onto a spoon and fed them to Alexander, "I promise- oh Prescott, cut up Chase's pizza". He did as I asked without a complaint, that's why he was my favourite brother right now.

"Aww Chase is a baby, he needs his cut up!", I rolled my eyes as I fed Isabella, her baby language filling the air and making me smile; I didn't know what she was saying, but it sounded important.

"Shut up, no I'm not!", Chase whined, throwing a piece of the cut up pizza at Caleb.

The two of them had the most mini-arguments and it was annoying, but Chase was only 5 and Caleb did stuff on purpose.

"Chase", I warned my brother and he fixed his tiny glasses before apologising; Mama said he needed them because he could see things up close, but not far away.

"He called me a baby!", he frowned, "but he's only this old!". He held up six fingers instead of seven and I smiled.

"Caleb, leave Chase alone", I told him and he stuck his tongue out at me, "should I take your paints away?".

He shook his head rapidly and carried on eating, Caleb loved painting; Dad said it was embarrassing but I thought it was cool. Even if the stuff he painted looked a little funny.

"Zay!", I beamed at my sister as she opened her mouth for more potatoes; I'd given up on feeding the twins because Xavier's bowl was upside down and he was trying to wedge his spoon up his nose, and Alexander's potatoes were in his hair and all over his face.

I'd have to give them a bath later.

"When's Mama coming home?", Chase asked, licking his hand and wiping it on Caleb's shoulder, "I thinked she was coming today".