Chapter 44

A/N - so many things to say but you're gonna have to wait for my long-ass authors note after the bonus chapters❤️

For the last time, enjoyyy (💔)

~~~

Chase

7 years ago

"What if they don't like me?", I tugged on my collar and took a deep breath, Zane's presence behind me making me feel a little more at ease; I didn't wanna do this. He placed a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it ever so slightly and looking at me in the mirror we were standing in front of at the bottom of the stairs.

"They will like you, anyone would be a fool not to", he assured me, "and if they don't-,".

"If they don't, I'll kick their fucking asses", Caleb sped down the stairs and I winced, I hated how violent he was sometimes.

"Cub", I groaned and his chuckle filled the air- attending a school with just him there was both terrifying and exciting. No more Scott, he'd graduated before summer, and the twins were still in middle school. It was just the two of us and that was putting me at ease as well as scaring me.

"Relax Chasey", he stood on the other side of me and ruffled my hair- great, "just say the word yeah? And they're gone".

I didn't want anyone to be 'gone', I just wanted to make a good first impression, and with Felix- my only friend and the extroverted one out of us- off sick on the first day, it was down to me.

"Can I wear one of your hoodies?", I turned to my 17 year old brother and he narrowed his eyes at me, having a silent conversation with Zane over the top of my head. I hated being this short, I hadn't grown like they had yet.

"You never wear hoodies Chase", he replied, "plus, you're already in a sweater". Of course he picked now to be observant.

"You want to cover up your hearing aids", and then you had Zane, who was just observant 24/7, day and night.

I didn't reply, I just shook his hand off of my shoulder and tried to walk away; if they weren't gonna give me a hoodie I'd get one myself.

Until I was tugged back.

I'd never been one to defy my brothers, especially Caleb - he and I had a bond like Xander and Xav, so when he gripped my shoulder and spun me to force me to look at him, I just let it happen.

"No", was all he said for a moment, just staring down at me with an undetectable expression; me being quiet usually meant I could read everyone better than they thought, but Caleb was always a challenge, "I'm not gonna let you do that man".

"But you can dye your hair so you don't look like Mum?", I don't know where that came from, "why can't I do this?".

"Chase- I", he paused, biting his lip for a split second, "you shouldn't have to feel insecure about that".

"Well I do", I fixed my glasses with the back of my hand, "and there's nothing you guys can do so just please, please let me wear one".

"Wardrobe", he released my shoulders with a sigh, allowing me to step past him.

Part of me wanted to turn around, apologise for being stupid, for not being able to just suck up this part of myself...but I didn't. I just walked up the stairs in silence, the impending doom of high school weighing down on my shoulders.

~

Caleb liked to call me socially awkward, and I'd told him to shut up every single time, claiming he was wrong.