Chapter 31

A/N - long awaited return🫡  longer chapter for you all❤️

TW - the whole chapter is basically not for the faint hearted...

~~~

"Nico?", I dropped to my knees, not caring about the gun that was still pointed in my direction or the shit ton of blood that was covering my hands, "Nico wake up! Come on, get the fuck up!".

I pressed down on his chest, gagging at the smell of fresh blood as tears burned my eyes. We were supposed to get out of here, I was supposed to be on my way home, and it'd all be thrown into jeopardy as quickly as I could blink.

"Look what you've made me do", I squeezed my eyes shut the second I heard Renato's voice beside me, he was so close I could feel his breath fanning my left ear, "I bet this was your idea hm? And now I've killed my son because of you".

A sob escaped me as I reopened my eyes, focusing on the still figure of Nico, knowing deep down the pressure I was applying to his chest was doing nothing. He was gone, and there was nothing I could do about it.

"He hated you", I whimpered, "you didn't treat him like a son, and he hated you". I screamed when my hair was tugged back, the burning sensation in my scalp only making me cry harder; I was forced to look him in the eyes and for the first time in my life, I wished it was me who was in Nico's position right now.

"You dare to turn this on me?", he snarled, "my own flesh and blood lying dead at my feet and you dare to speak?".

"You killed him", I said weakly, "it's nobody's fault but your own".

I don't know what was possessing me to keep speaking, the small voice in my head was telling me to shut the fuck up but between the adrenaline, the anger, the shock, I couldn't bring myself to. Renato pulled my head back further, harder, and tears spilled down both of my cheeks; I wanted nothing more than to be in my brothers' arms right now.

"Get up", he ordered and I sniffed.

"I'm not leaving him", I swore, my hands still somewhat planted on Nico's chest, "I'm not leaving him".

"Amusing that you think you have a choice", he had the audacity to chuckle, I averted my gaze to the gun he still had in his left hand, brandishing it like it hasn't just taken the life of his only child, "get up Isabella".

I even hated how my name sounded rolling off of his tongue, I wanted him to fucking drop dead- soon, and while I was praying my brothers would be the ones to come and do the job, I was losing more and more hope as the seconds went on.

I obeyed him, rising to my feet slowly as the fisted grip on my hair loosened slightly, before he released it completely. I stared at my hands, red and coated in blood, then down at Nico's body one last time; his face was losing its usual tanned colour and it made me shiver, knowing the sight would be something that kept me up for a long time from here on out.

As much as I appreciated Renato's lack of contact with my body, it returned as soon as it left, a hand grasping the back of my neck and squeezing slightly as he guided me back up the stairs. It felt like an out of body experience, I wasn't even sure if I was breathing as we ascended the stairs in silence.

My trembling hands clutched each other tightly, I stared at the doorknob as Renato turned it and shoved me inside the room gently; I don't think it would've made a difference if he kicked me inside. I couldn't feel anything anymore.

"Your brothers are taking longer than expected", he tutted from behind me, I just stared at the dip in the mattress where Nico was sitting what felt like a few minutes ago, "maybe they're better off without you Isabella".