It's Paul

Paul nervously shuffled into the small coffee shop.

It was currently his lunch break and for some reason he found himself walking the extra block to this small coffee shop instead of Starbucks his usual stop, to come into the store for his second time.

The first time, which had been last Friday, he intended on going to Starbucks with Ted, but the line had been super long so Ted told him about this other shop 'beanies', shitty coffee, hot baristas.

It was indeed shitty, but he would have been lying if he said the other half of that statement was just Ted being horny.

So there he found himself again, telling himself he just really liked them for their coffee.

He shuffled up to the counter smiling awkwardly at the barista.

"Hi what can I get you?" she asked, mocking a customer server voice.

"Uh just a cup of black coffee please?" He muttered, hoping it didn't sound as weird as he felt it did.

He handed over the required money, his breath hitching as his hand brushed against hers.

He tapped his fingers together anxiously as he waited, his hand moving weirdly fast down to collect the drink once it was done.

"There you are Pat" she said as she handed over the cup.

Paul looked at her confused.

"You came in with your friend Friday right? He called you Pat"

He felt even more confused by her explanation that it flew over his head that she had remembered him.

She must have misheard Ted he reasoned, "uh it's actually Paul"

"Oh okay" she nodded.

"Emma could you come back here a sec?" A voice called from the back room, breaking her away from their conversation.

Paul's Brain took a minute to catch up, "hmm Emma" he thought aloud to himself.

***

Just like yesterday Paul found himself walking into beanies on his lunch break, hoping to see a certain barista.

"Hey Percy" she called out as they made eye contact.

"It's Paul-" he laughed, simple mistake.

"Black coffee?" She asked, not even mentioning the name.

"Uh- y- yeah" he stuttered out.

"Cool" Emma simply stated, already beginning to make the drink.

"Here you are Pierce" she smiled placing the drink down.

"Paul" he simply corrected.

Emma smiled, "yep, have a great day"

And once again she walked away, ending their conversation.

He watched on with a smile as she began to wipe down a dirty table.

What the fuck was wrong with him?

***

Paul entered beanies slightly more confident today.

He was a very anxious man, but he was beginning to get into a routine coming to beanies each day on his lunch break that he was getting more familiar with his surroundings each day, and in turn feeling less like he didn't belong.

He walked up to the counter with a smile as he saw Emma serving a customer already.

She was doing her best to act polite, in her customer service way, but she looked annoyed.

He didn't catch much of the conversation but he watched as the customer stormed out, Emma muttering out an insult as he left.

"Bad day?" He asked bringing her attention away from the door the customer was making a point to rush out of.

Emma shook her head, "tell me about it."

"Anyway, what can I get you" she put on her customer service voice, pretending as if the whole encounter didn't just happen.

"A black coffee please?"

Emma nodded, beginning to prepare his coffee.

When she was finished she handed over the cup with a smile, "Here you go, one black coffee"

"Thanks Emma"

"You're welcome Philip"

***

Paul joined in the line at beanies, waiting patiently to see Emma, and of course- you know, get his coffee.

He watched Emma serve the customers in front of him, seeming quite overwhelmed by the amount of people waiting.

Paul hated days like these, because it meant he had less time to chat to Emma.

Finally he reached the front of the line where it seemed Emma's frown briefly turned into a smile at seeing him.

"Hi what can I get you?" She asked.

"Just a cup of black coffee please"

She nodded, preparing the cup as she usually did.

While he popped the note into the tip jar like he normally did, reasoning in his head that she deserved it even more today.

She placed the finished cup down on the bench with a smile.

"Have a good day Noah." She quickly said before returning back to helping the next person.

Paul shook his head as he walked away. Not even close.

***

Just like routine Paul entered the small coffee shop, preparing to see the small barista he had been pining over for ages now, readying himself for what names he'd receive today.

He had just accepted it at this point, she didn't really know him, as much as he hoped she did.

And it made sense, she had many customers throughout the day, why would she remember him?

He made his way over to the counter with a sigh.

"A cup of black coffee please?" He asked, not even waiting for her to ask him.

She nodded, "one black coffee coming right up."

He watched her work, effortlessly pouring his drink as always.

Smiling when she handed it over to him.

He took a sip in front of her, watching as she seemed to contemplate something.

"Hey Paul; do you want to go out to dinner with me?" She finally spoke.

Paul nearly chocked on his drink as it rushed down his throat in his shock, "what?" He spluttered out.

"Do you want to go out to dinner with me?" Emma repeated herself.

"You know my name?" He asked, the shock clear in his voice.

"Of course I know your name, you've been coming in here for about a month now" Emma laughed.

"So yes? Or no?"

"Uh yeah, I guess so. But wait. If you knew my name how come you never, you know... call me by my actual name?"

Emma shrugged, "why not?"

"Why?" Paul asked again.

"Why not?" Emma repeated herself with a laugh.

Paul just shook his head, "I don't get you."

"Oh but you will, eventually"