×13×

"We have to start somewhere"

A large 'thump' followed Leith's words and when I looked down at the dining table, on it I saw a huge crate that was overflowing with files and papers.

"What's all this?" asked Akira as she walked into the room with 3 cups of coffee in her hand.

"These are files of all the criminals in this town, accidents.... murders, thought we might find something" Akira handed him his coffee and he muttered a small thanks to her "some connection."

"How could their acci- murder be connected to any of this?" I asked as my hands wrapped around the mug of hot caffeine that Akira offered me. "Thanks"

"We never know, maybe you might recognize someone in this list or maybe we could find some sort of connection with one of these cases" He spoke as if he himself didn't know why, looking down at those files I knew we wouldn't find anything but we had to try "We have to try"

I looked up at him and our eyes connected, brown of the coffee, he wanted us to have hope, so we hoped.

"Well, let's get looking"

And with that, my fingers grasped the file on the top and set on the first step to finding my parent's killer.

"This is bullshit, we are getting nowhere" I agreed with Akira we were getting nowhere but the glimmer of hope in Leith's eyes said otherwise

"We just have to keep looking" What his eyes held his voice didn't; it was laced with doubt.

"Why don't we take a break?" I suggested

"You don't have to tell me twice" Akira walked back to the living room for her much-needed break.

"I'll keep looking, you both go ahead" a frustrating sight left my lips; this boy was getting on my last nerves.

"Leith"

"Hmm"

"Stop"

He looked up as his fingers paused over the page he was turning over, my eyes glanced over the pile of files beside him the ones he was done with, it was almost half of what we started with originally and we had found nothing.