2.

New Granada Junior High School.

Well, 'Schol'. The sign had an 'O' missing.

The building looked more like a looney bin rather than a place for educating young minds. Profanity was spray-painted on the walls, the majority of the windows and doors had been wrecked and every corner lurked with smokers. I admitted that my last school wasn't as bad as I used to think, this was the real Hell.

Students bustled around the busy halls as I made my way to the main office. A lady was sitting behind the desk typing away at the computer, the keyboard mashed loudly by her skeletal fingers. Staring, her makeup was every shade of wrong. It glimpsed as though she had just stepped out of the unfashionable side of the 1930s.

I tapped against the wooden surface, alerting her of my presence.

"Can I help you?" She asked bluntly.

"It's my first day and I need help finding my classes" I answered. She finally turned her head towards me as I got a good look at her dull eyes that were doused with tacky green eyeshadow that was just about visible through her crescent moon glasses. "One moment," she began printing a timetable that took awfully long with a horse-toothed smile.

My patience grew thin, I only wanted verbal directions. Not a whole map. I certainly felt the awkward tension between us as I was forced to wait in silence. Then as if by luck, an announcement from the speakers projected across the building:

"All students must make their way to the auditorium for an emergency meeting. I repeat, all students must make their way to the auditorium for an emergency meeting."

I watched as kids trailed as one towards the auditorium. Now with an excuse to walk away from the ghastly lady, I followed the crowd. The principal was standing behind a podium as the rest of us took seats on the uncomfortable metal chairs, the coldness seeping into my flesh.

"Good morning," Principal Montgomery addressed the dozens of youngsters before her "I want to talk to you all this morning about a shocking incident which occurred yesterday when some students, who might possibly even go to this school, caused a major traffic accident on the freeway.

Because of this, the school board has decided on the following steps to stop this kind of thing from going any further. Smoking, on or near school grounds will result in immediate suspension."

Loud muttering arose from the students as Richie strolled in suddenly, catching my eye.

"Mr White, you're late!" Mrs Montgomery reprimanded firmly "Why are you late Richard?"

"Um," Richie played with his fingers "I had to take a piss."

"What!"

We laughed, the kids I mean. The teachers looked far from impressed with his choice of vulgar language.

"I mean- I had to urinate."

"Sit down" she scoffed.

Richie took a seat which just so happened to be beside me. He smirked as I flashed a small smile, listening to Montgomery continue her speech.

"Now, there will be a nine-thirty curfew starting tonight and it will be strictly enforced by the police department. I hope that's clear. We have a film that we would like you to see and then Mr Cole, who is president of the Homeowners' Association has a few announcements."

The lights dimmed down and she proceeded to play a non-Oscar-worthy short film about vandalism in schools.

"How's your first day in Hell?" Richie leaned and whispered to me. "It's alright, I suppose" I whispered back. "Get out whilst you can, this place is a dump," he sneered. "Something tells me you're not much of a noble student," I said to which he replied with a grin "I'm an outlaw, Jack."

In a low, hushed voice, I listened to Richie's stories about skipping school or ending up busted in detention. I occasionally nodded and hummed, my attention was split in half between his rambles and the flickering screen. By the end, the students cheered and whistled as Principal Montgomery shook her head vigorously in dismay.

The lights turned on again and I glanced over, spotting Carl in the opposite row with his friend who looked super drugged out, little beads of sweat trickling down his pale face.

When we were finally dismissed for class, Richie pulled me aside in the hall. "Hey listen, the boys and I are meeting tonight at the Rec's playground and uh, I thought it'd be cool if you came with," he said.

"Me? Why?"

"Don't act so surprised Adrien, we've already been arrested together. Don't you know that basically means we're partners in crime now?"

The idea of that made me laugh a little. Richie didn't come across as the type of guy to want a girl around, unless there was something he wanted out of it. "Thanks for the invitation but I can't."

"Why not?"

I wanted to teach myself skateboarding. Find a little nook somewhere and practise without being judged by anyone and hope I wouldn't end up with too many bruises. It would please my parents instead of hanging around boys. Not that I said that aloud to him.

"Look, maybe another time. I can't keep getting in trouble, especially with the early curfew. My parents would lose their minds if they even found out about the knife situation."

"Oh, bummer" he scuffed at the floor with his shoe "Well, you know where to find me if ya change your mind" then he walked off towards to exit to bunk class. I sighed and momentarily regretted not taking the campus map when I had the chance. At least that distracted me from Richie's disappointment.

I skulked through the hall curiously until I bumped into a girl. She was roughly my height, very pretty with gingery brown hair and charming eyes, not forgetting her cinnamon scent. She introduced herself as Cory and the giant blonde girl behind her as Abby.

"Are you lost?" Cory asked. I nodded. "Well don't worry," she smiled "I'll take care of you today, won't I Abby?" Cory nudged the blonde's arm. "Yeah she will," Abby snorted in a giggly way. They stuck to their word and became the first girls to acknowledge me here in New Granada.