5.

Waiting outside the store, the boys were taking longer than expected. I was flipping through a magazine when Cory and Abby passed by. "Hey Adrien," Cory greeted "We need your help with something."

I looked at them curiously. "With what?"

"Stealing a gun."

"Excuse me?" I thought maybe I heard her wrong. "I'm too big to sneak through the window and Cory doesn't want to do it" Abby explained. "Are you nuts? I'm not stealing a gun!" I exasperated.

"Please? We'll pay you" Cory promoted "You know you want to."

With a clenched jaw, I agreed to do the deed. "I'm only doing this for the money" I tossed the magazine back on the rack, following the girls around the corner to the house. The only window that was unlocked was a tiny one in a laundry room.

Sliding my way through the tight gap, I landed on the floor with a thud. I held my quivering breath but nothing happened so I exhaled with ease. I found the kitchen a few doors down where I spotted Cory and Abby at the kitchen door, they waved and pointed to where the gun was.

I walked around the wooden island and opened the drawer. "Sweet," I pulled the pistol out and slid it into my pocket. I was about to leave when Cory warned "Watch out" so I ducked thinking she meant Doberman. In reality, a medium-sized Bull Terrier was staring at me. I climbed up onto the island as the dog began barking.

Stuck, I was bound to get caught. Maybe even sent to the Hill. The girls pounded on the door, grabbing the dog's attention. I took a deep breath, counted to three and jumped down. The dog heard me running and gave chase enthusiastically.

Climbing onto the washing machine, the dog lunged up and bit me hard on my leg. I cried out in pain as Cory and Abby rushed over to assist. Finally, the dog let go as I was yanked out forcefully, landing on the grass in a heap.

I drew my breath sharply, staring at the bleeding wound. Abby took the gun and placed it inside a bag. "We gotta go before someone shows up" Cory let me use her for support as we stumbled away. She fretted over me apologetically, even offering to pay more money.

We made it to the road when Carl and Richie approached on their bikes. "May I see your driver's license please?" Richie stopped us. When he caught a glimpse of me, his jaw dropped open. "There you are! What the hell happened, Adrien?" He demanded. "I got bit by a dog," I grumbled, humiliated.

"You're bleeding a lot," Carl remarked. "I'll be fine," I replied, fooling nobody. The blood dripped down onto my converse and tainted my white socks with the consequence of my actions. The cut bothered me none, but having to explain this to my parents? I dreaded the thought of it.

"See you, Cory, I'm going home," Abby said but suddenly Richie grabbed the bag and pulled out the pistol. "Not bad," he was clearly impressed.

"Give it back Richie, it's ours" Cory scowled. "I just want to check it out," he replied. I zoned out momentarily as the others chatted. My leg ached and I really needed to sit down somewhere. "Hey, y'know me and Richie have our own condo over there," Carl pointed.

"Yeah, I'll bet you just got married" Cory joked.

The boys took us to their hangout. "Check this place out," Richie said as he carried me up the ladder on his back. He then lowered me onto a seat and I was relieved that I didn't have to walk anymore. "You think I need the hospital?" I studied the bite mark. "Nah, I can fix you," Richie insisted.

I glanced at him oddly as he pulled out a bandage roll from a first aid box. "Came with the condo" he shrugged. Kneeling down beside me, he soaked my leg with a water bottle and began wrapping the material around the wound. I winced and squeezed his shoulder tightly.

Cory and Carl were flirting leaving Abby to fumble with the gun. "Where'd you get this box?" Cory pointed to the stereo. "Oh, some robbery scheme I planned up. Worked out pretty decent," Richie answered as the music began playing.

"Was that before or after you broke into a bike shop?" Carl taunted.

"Shut up."

"Anybody wanna get high?" Cory lit a joint.

"I knew it, out pops a number" Richie scoffed "Whose house is this where you got this gun?"

"I dunno" I answered. "You just found it huh?" Richie dipped his head into my neck "Lucky you," he muttered against my skin. Cory quickly mentioned finding shells for the gun and wanting to shoot.

"Yo, what do you say we go to the fields tomorrow, have a little target practice?" Richie suggested. "Have a Sunday picnic" Carl grinned. "Alright, a picnic with a gun" Cory jumped up and started dancing to the music. Carl watched admiringly but Richie looked baffled.

Then suddenly Cory fired a round towards Carl who flopped backwards. "Carl!" I gasped. The others quickly hovered over him "You alive?!" Richie cried out. Carl didn't move until he sat up to scare us and as the evening sun began to set, we packed up and left.

"Carl I'm really sorry man, last time we looked there weren't even any bullets in it," Cory apologized. "C'mon I'm late enough as it is, my mom's gonna have a cow," Abby complained. "What about the gun?" Cory asked. "Don't worry it's in good hands" Richie responded so the girls walked away.

"I bet you're in love with her now that she almost blew your brains out," he said to Carl. "Okay okay," Carl admitted. Then Richie turned to me. "I'd let you blow my brains out anytime Adrien," he smirked. "Oh yeah, I'd totally shoot you to death," I teased.

Because of my leg, Richie gave me a ride home on his bike. I stood on the pegs carefully, my arms wrapped tightly around his body. Pedalling at a sluggish speed, it took longer to reach my house but I didn't care. I liked being in his company.

"Now don't you go running off baby, your cut needs to heal," said Richie as he dropped me at my doorstep. "You got it, Doc," I smiled and Richie kissed my forehead, giving me a case of serious butterflies.