20.

My last morning of freedom.

I was picked up early by my parents and taken home. My real home. Although I missed Richie's room, it felt nice to lay in my own bed for a little while until I was called down for breakfast. Dad made pancakes with blueberries which was a rare thing. I was happy because I could only imagine the slop they probably served at the Hill until my arrival to see for myself.

"Are you scared?" Mom asked. I shook my head. "I'm not. Is that weird? I feel like I should be but I kind of expected this with everything that happened, if I'm very honest" I replied. "I'm proud of you. Not for the destruction and bad behaviour, but for your willingness to accept the consequences that followed your actions," said Dad. 

I smiled a little. "Is that why you made pancakes? It's like Christmas came early."

He chuckled. "Consider it a leaving gift. Eat up now, we have to leave for the station soon."

We ate in silence but it was a comfortable one. Queen played on the radio and I tapped my feet to the music quietly against the floor. For some reason, it didn't feel like I was being sent to Juvie. Even during the car ride to the station, the severity hadn't sunk in yet.

Midday.

"Adrien Walton, is there anything in your pockets that I should know about that could harm me?" 

"No ma'am."

My feet ached from standing around bored for ages. I was patted down by the lady for any weapons which of course I wasn't carrying. She then scribbled down on a clipboard and barked "Wait here," before walking out quickly. I don't know how much time passed until I was finally collected from the large room.

I was marched out of the police station into the sweltering heat of the sun with my arms handcuffed behind my back. My parents were given extra time to say goodbye to me. They hugged me and kissed my head, their eyes brimmed with worried tears. "We love you, honey. Two weeks, okay? Two weeks and you'll be home to us and we can leave all this madness behind in the past," Mom said softly.

"I know. Don't worry about me, I love you too," I replied.

"You'll be allowed one phone call a day. If you need anything, you'll ring us, won't you kiddo?" Dad patted my shoulder. I nodded. My parents held onto me tightly, even tighter than the handcuffs as if they would never see me again. I didn't mind. I just wished I could've held them tight too.

Paparazzi for the media took pictures as the other kids were hauled out of the building also handcuffed. One by one, they were loaded onto a yellow school bus except this one had metal bars barricading the small windows. Suddenly, the reality hit that we really were prisoners this time and I'd have Juvie on my record but I wasn't tense.

I gave my parents a reassuring smile before I was hauled roughly onto the bus myself, almost tripping up the stairs because the officer was careless with me. "Watch it," he scolded me although I didn't do anything but walk. "No you watch it," I muttered under my breath. Good thing he didn't hear. Abby was sitting near the front and she flashed me a cheeky grin as I passed her which I returned. 

The only available seat left was next to Carl at the very back but that was perfect for me. "You ready?" He asked curiously. "Ready as I'll ever be" I replied calmly. "My parents cried so much this morning," he said. "Mine too, their handkerchiefs are drenched" I giggled a little. Another police officer then performed a headcount before the bus doors slammed shut.

The engine bellowed to life and as the bus began to drive away, we glanced back at our parents who were watching us anxiously and then the vehicle turned a sharp corner. Just like that, they were gone. The bus was silent as we were driven down the highway, the wind blowing through our hair wildly. A police car was trailing behind us for supervision, not that we had anywhere to run with our arms restrained.

We eventually approached an overpass where Cory, Claude and Johnny were waiting for us. We heard their loud cheers from above and as we glanced back, we saw them waving at us frantically. Carl and I couldn't wave because of the stupid handcuffs but we smiled. Two weeks and we would see our friends again. We would have lots to catch up on at the condo.

When they eventually disappeared out of sight too, I rested my head against Carl's shoulder tiredly. "I'd wrap my arm 'round ya if I could. You okay?" He whispered. Staring out of the window at the half-blurry surroundings, I hummed in response "Thanks Carl. Yeah, I'm okay. I'm just thinking..."

I thought a lot and decided to change my life that day. I wasn't perfect, I'd make mistakes just like everybody else but I was no longer going to get in trouble with the law. I had family and friends who cared about me and I didn't want to be selfish with my actions anymore. I had learned that the hard way.

Being sent to Juvie wasn't going to be easy but I could handle anything. I had this deep urge that I wanted to prove that I could be the best version of myself. I wondered, could I possibly become a Rec counsellor like Julia in the future? A job to help kids and make a difference, a good difference. 

Not just for myself, but for Richie too. I was given a second chance at life. Twice. I wasn't going to screw that up anymore. For the first time since Richie died, I felt there was hope for me and no matter the outcome, I knew in my heart that one thing was for sure.

I would never forget Richie White.

---

The end.