19.

Oh my God, I'm alive.

My body ached entirely making me groan as I tried to sit up. It seemed to be reoccurring that I would end up in the hospital. I wondered where Carl was because he was with me when I fainted. I assumed he was at home reunited with his parents.

I was extremely thirsty and hungry. I couldn't remember the last time I ate. "Hello?!" I called out and waited. A moment later, a nurse walked in. "Good morning, how're you feeling?" She asked cheerfully. "Empty," I yawned. The nurse handed me a breakfast tray and I tucked in. The food was far from great but I scoffed it down anyway.

She tapped her fingers across her clipboard. "Your parents are in the waiting room, should I call them?" She looked at me curiously. After a moment, I nodded. The nurse left the room and eventually, my parents entered. They looked exhausted and broken. Holding my arms out slowly, the three of us embraced in a hug.

"I'm really sorry for everything. I've been a horrible daughter," I said on the brim of tears. Yet another death experience made me realise that. I was tired of fighting my parents. "We love you so much," Mom scooped my cheek into her hand. I looked at my dad who burst into tears.

"Honey I'm so sorry. I've only ever wanted the best for you. Please forgive me" he sobbed.

I'd never seen him cry before and I didn't like it. So I did forgive him. Dad gave me a kiss on the forehead, regaining his composure. They took the two armchair seats next to the bed and looked at me. "Adrien, there's something you should know," Mom glanced at Dad, then at me uneasily. I already knew what she was going to say.

"I'm being sent to the Hill, aren't I?"

They nodded.

"Most of the kids, except a few. It'll only be for a couple of weeks, once you're there you'll receive the help you need. You leave tomorrow at noon," Mom explained. I could've argued, defended my actions and rebelled further but it was over. I simply nodded and said "Yeah...Okay."

I thought I'd be nervous but I wasn't. From stories I'd heard from other kids, apparently, it wasn't as strict as the adults made it out to be. Either way, I knew it wasn't going to be anything fun. As long as still I got to see my friends, it didn't bother me.

Dad cleared his throat. "Your mom and I have been discussing an important matter. We think it's the right choice that after you're released from the Hill...We should move away from New Granada."

I looked at my parents sharply. "Wait what? No. We can't!"

"We really believe a fresh start is needed. So much has happened here that we're increasingly worried about you," Mom replied. "Please don't take me away. This is my home now. I can't leave Richie, not now not ever," I pleaded.

The idea of leaving made me feel sick. If my parents would've said that from the start, I'd have had a completely different answer. By this point, I was too emotionally attached to New Granada. Or, New Granola as Richie used to call it. Leaving without him felt way too wrong.

Dad leaned forwards and patted my leg. "I'll tell you what. If you can prove to us that you've changed for the better, we won't move. Our main priority is that you're safe and happy."

"Thank you! Thank you!"

"On the other hand, we've got some good news too," Mom's eyes glinted.

"What is it?"

My parents exchanged smiles. "Andrew called us yesterday. He's coming to visit in three weeks!"

My heart skipped a beat as I smiled in delight. I couldn't wait to see my brother. Then I remembered and my face sank a little. "What's wrong hun?" Mom asked curiously. "Richie wanted to meet Andrew before he died," I said quietly and couldn't stop the tears from escaping.

They gave me another hug. Since I seemed to catch them in a somewhat good mood, I took the chance to ask them something I'd been thinking about. "Mom...Dad...Can I stay one more night at Richie's house? Y'know, before I'm sent away to the Hill."

I expected a no but they agreed. I was thankful for that. We spent the next few hours together whilst the doctor came in and checked me over. The medical team were able to successfully remove the glass from my abdomen and with plenty of rest and medication, I'd heal just fine.

Later that evening, I was discharged from the hospital and my parents drove me to Judy's apartment. Once inside, I was surprised to see two suitcases in the living room. "Are you leaving??" I fretted. I didn't them want to move away. "Only for a little while sweetheart. We're going to stay with my parents" Judy explained.

I sighed in relief. "You deserve a break from all the madness. Take all the time you need," I said. "Are you going to the Hill?" She asked, taking a seat. I nodded. "I'm ready. I've come to learn about myself that I can handle anything" I replied firmly.

"Of course you can," Judy hugged me. I needed that hug. I spent my last free evening eating dinner and watching tv with Judy and Simon and then we managed to catch the sunset from her balcony. It was real pretty.

I entered Richie's bedroom around ten pm. Laying on the bed, I took a deep breath. Although I knew he was gone, I couldn't help but feel like he'd run in through the door any minute and tell me about the trouble he'd gotten himself into. I giggled, remembering all the mischievous things that we got up to.

Usually, I didn't like to remember but this time it didn't hurt so much. I can best describe it as bittersweet. Remembering about the first day we met and we were arrested (which wasn't my fault) or the first kiss we shared. I could never forget it.