13.

Richie stared in the mirror. "I look ridiculous" he commented. His hoodie was pulled tight around his head, hiding most of his face. "You look fine, okay? It's just until we can get on the bus" I reassured. He didn't look too happy about it but I was adamant about him staying covered.

"I'm ready" I grabbed the key, tucking it tightly into my pocket. We headed out to the bus stop, waiting roughly for fifteen minutes and our ride showed up. It was packed on the bus so we made our way to the very back, sitting so close together our thighs rubbed.

We managed to pass by a few stops without trouble but then we spotted a cop car parked across the road. "Get down" I hissed and we immediately dipped out of sight. It was uncomfortable positioned crouched down yet neither of us was willing to move.

Luckily for us, we weren't caught. The bus journey was about an hour to the beach and by the time we arrived, Richie had already torn his hoodie off, wrapping it around his waist. "It ain't no Santa Monica but it'll do" I breathed in the fresh, salty air that blew my hair out of my face.

It wasn't large, you could probably cover the whole area in a twenty-minute or so walk. There were a few families dotted around but they were sitting further up so there weren't going to be any disturbances. At least I hoped so anyway.

The soft, golden sand engulfed my bare feet as I selected a spot near the sea. Richie placed down a blanket for us to sit and I dug through my bag to check our food wasn't squashed to nothingness. "Honestly, I don't remember the last time I went to the beach," he spoke suddenly.

I looked up at him. Most of the kids in New Granada didn't get out much and I bet they would've appreciated something as simple as a beach trip. "Well," I stretched out over his legs "I'm happy that I'm here with you" I smiled. He smiled too as we listened to the waves crashing against the shore.

"Bummer about this being our last day. There's still so much to do" Richie yawned as he started to play with my hair. I hummed quietly, my body unwinding. "Just think, we can have so many adventures together as we grow older" I replied.

My eyes never left the water as Richie began to plan crazy adventures. Some were even too far from realistic but I admired his enthusiasm. We were having such a great time together, basking in the ambience of the coast. Without bathing suits, we weren't able to swim but we dipped our feet into the shallow water's edge.

Time flew by too fast for our liking. After a mild lunch, we strolled around the beach hand in hand. "We should do this again, some other time," Richie said. I agreed on one condition. "Yeah sure, but let's find a nicer motel next time" I giggled.

We spent most of the day there until we had to head back to the motel to check out. The lady took the key and peeked at us curiously. "Did you enjoy your stay? Will you be returning?" The eager words parted from her lips.

Richie and I exchanged glances. "We will," he replied. The lady believed him with a smile but we wouldn't be coming back anytime soon.

---

"You know, I really enjoyed our little getaway" Richie placed his hands on either side of my head, pinning me against the doorway of my house. "Don't miss me too much" I grinned, caressing his cheek. "It'll be hard not to. Guess I can't resist you" Richie leaned in and kissed me goodbye.

With my head in the clouds, I sauntered into the house. I had just dropped my bag by the stairs when I heard my name being desperately called. Entering the kitchen, my parents were already sitting at the table with dinner served.

"Hello" I greeted with a smile. Mom went to embrace me in a hug but Dad stopped her with a wave of his hand. "Adrien we need to talk" he stated. "What about?" I joined them at the rounded table.

"Where the hell have you been?"

"At Cory's house, I told you."

Dad laughed but it wasn't the hearty type. "The school called us two days ago to say that a fake note had been written and that you weren't in school. I'll ask you again, where have you been?"

"We had Doberman out searching for you alongside us. Now please, just be honest," Mom added.

I should've told the complete truth, really I should've. But I didn't. I was too afraid to make my dad even angrier because I knew his feelings towards Richie. "I skipped school, staying at a nearby motel by myself."

His right eye twitched. "YOU WHAT?!"

"Oh Adrien, why on earth would you do that?" Mom shook her head. "I needed a break," I said quietly. "A break?! You're fourteen years old Adrien, a kid doesn't need a break. I need a break from all the darn stress you're giving me," Dad yelled. "I won't do it again" I replied but Dad didn't back down. 

"You're damn right you won't. I'm keeping my eye on you. From now on, to and from school, I will drive you. Any other time, you're to be here in this house. The doors will be locked and if I even catch you outside with those so-called friends of yours, I'll send you to the Hill myself."

My jaw fell open. He was ever so severe, his face red with rage. Before we moved here, I'd never seen my dad lose his cool. "You can't do that! That's crazy," I gasped. "I'll do what I please in my own house" he scowled. Dad rose from his seat suddenly and marched upstairs, I followed behind in a hurry. 

He burst into my room and pulled out my telephone, breaking the wires. I shouted at him to stop but he didn't listen, taking away my belongings that could be considered a luxury. "Make him stop!" I tugged on mom's arm but she gently pulled away. 

"Just go to bed Adrien. We'll talk about this in the morning."

She walked into their bedroom, the door slamming behind her. I entered my own and stared at how empty it looked. It didn't feel like a safe space anymore, only a prison. I wondered, could the Hill really be worse than this?