4.

Richie was fast asleep beside me when I woke up in my living room with a headache, my memory distantly fogged. The house was silent. Too silent. Checking my parents' room, they had already left for work and I hoped that they weren't aware of my nightly rebelliousness.

I shook Richie awake. He flashed me a crooked, sleepy smile, his eyes dark and half-lidded. "Hey," his voice croaked from dehydration. "Morning" I fetched us both a glass of cold water "How did we end up here?"

He sat up, "When those pigs showed up and busted the party, we managed to run back to the Rec. Then, you fell asleep. I'm serious, I mean you tilted on me and wouldn't wake up. So, I carried you home and snuck in through the back door."

I nodded with a lazy smile. "Thanks for taking care of me," it was then that a thought struck me and I froze. "Wait, where's my skateboard?"

"Erm, we forgot to bring it with us."

"WHAT?"

Richie was taken aback by my outburst. "It's just a board, we can get you a new one," he reckoned. "It's not just a board, it was my brother's and it means a lot to me and I knew going to that party was a stupid idea but you wouldn't listen!" I insisted.

He rubbed his neck. "Oh...I'm sorry for your loss" Richie shot me a sympathetic look. I almost laughed at the sheer ridiculousness. "Jeez, he's not dead! He's in LA at college part-time whilst training for the LA Massacre," I replied.

"What's an LA Massacre?"

"It's this crazy downhill skateboard race against skaters from all over the USA. I mean it's dangerous, one wrong move and you'll end up in the hospital for sure."

"Sounds cool," Richie grinned. "Andrew didn't have much time to teach me before he left. I want to learn before he visits in the summer," I said. Talking about my brother made me miss him more and Richie noticed this because he wrapped an arm around me.

"Don't sweat it. Johnny knows all the moves and tricks. I'll talk to him."

I looked at him. "You'd do that for me?"

"Sure, I mean you're already good at one thing."

"Oh yeah? What's that?"

Richie leaned close and whispered "You're a dime kisser" with a smirk. My eyes widened. I made out with Richie White! Jesus, how could I forget?

I replied "I was past any sense to think about it," and Richie chuckled, "Well if you wanna do it again, I'm available," he winked. I blushed. We chatted a while longer, mostly trying to recall the night between fits of laughter until Richie left shortly before midday.

Now alone, I hopped into a quick shower and dressed in whatever clothes I found first. Meanwhile, the kiss lingered in my mind. Did he really mean he would kiss me again or was he saying that to be a tease? I'd have to wait and see.

Without my board, I was forced to walk to the Rec. Based on the outskirts of the community, it was a blue dome metallic shelter. Not very appealing to the eye but it was the only space we had to hang out.

Inside was busy. Some kids were playing table tennis, others played foosball. The rest lounged around on beanie bags chatting away. I was approached by a woman wearing a neat striped shirt and green khaki pants. She appeared to be in her early thirties with polished blonde hair that she fashioned in a tight ponytail.

"Hello, you must be new?"

I nodded. "I moved here a few days ago."

"Lovely to meet you. I'm Julia Vogel, head counsellor of the Rec" she introduced. "Adrien Walton" I shook her dainty hand politely. "If you need anything, Adrien, please do let me know," she smiled warmly before patting my shoulder and walking away.

Richie was sitting in the corner holding a cue stick. He had changed his clothes from his black mesh shirt to a white vest, paired with a dark waistcoat. When he saw me, he waved me over. "Missed me?" He flirted. "So much that I couldn't function," I rolled my eyes playfully.

Carl entered the Rec a few minutes later. His face was noticeably busted up, prompting kids to snigger and remark.

"Jesus Carl," Julia embraced him worriedly "What happened to you?"

"I got jumped."

"Are you okay?" She asked cordially.

"Yeah I'm alright" he assured, walking over to us.

"Who nailed you, man?" Richie questioned. "Mark Perry and that gorilla he hangs out with," Carl grumbled. "Yeah? Your parents blow up on you?" Richie asked. "No, not really," Carl answered. "What are you, into brass knuckles and baseball bats?" Claude mocked. Carl chuckled, "I didn't volunteer for this man."

Seeing as there weren't many seats left and I refused to sit on the floor, I tugged Richie's arm. "Scoot over, would ya?" I spoke. Instead, he swiftly pulled me into his lap. My face heated red as another kid wolf-whistled at us followed by kissy noises.

"Pipe down before I slug you," Richie threatened and the kid immediately shut up. I rested my head on Richie's shoulder whilst he slowly rubbed my back. None of his friends was fazed by us, they continued to chat about Carl being jumped.

It wasn't long after that Julia suddenly made her way outside, the door slamming behind her which caught everyone's attention. We ran to the windows curiously, wondering what the hell was going on. We watched as she approached the biggest blockhead, Doberman himself.

They discussed something before Doberman marched inside, Julia followed in a hurry. "All the old familiar faces," he sneered. "You are violating a city ordinance coming in here!" Julia exclaimed. "Whose permission do I need?" He scoffed at her response.

"Ours. You don't belong here!" Richie called out. "Oh, now let's just make him feel at home," Julia reacted calmly. Doberman circled around the kids before picking on Claude who was visibly out of it.

Conducting a search, Doberman found Hash on Claude. He drew out his walkie-talkie and requested assistance. I caught Richie placing the cue stick down and sneaking out of the back door so I followed him.

"Hey," I grabbed onto his hand, pulling him to face me "Where are you going?"

"To mess with the pigs, you'll see."

I watched as Richie ran over and climbed on top of the police car. "Richie White, you are one helluva troublemaker," I giggled. He grinned. "That's my middle name, don't wear it out."

We waited—me watching him, him watching me. A noisy commotion erupted from inside and we smiled at each other. The doors burst open and Claude was hauled away by the officers, the other kids followed, hollering and throwing insults when Doberman stopped in his tracks.

"GET OFF THAT CAR" he yelled.

Richie, who was straight-faced with his hands planted on his waist, defied the order.

"White! Off that car!"

Richie flashed a smug smirk.

Having enough of his disrespectful behaviour, the second officer gave chase. Richie jumped down from the car and ran off as the kids cheered in amusement. The laughter and clapping doubled when the officer tripped over, leaving Richie to escape successfully.

Claude was shoved into the back of the car before Doberman drove away angrily from the irate scene. With the Rec shut down for the rest of the day, kids parted in search of new fun. Richie showed up again, spotting Carl looking concerned.

"Snap out of it man, Claude's just another lost cause," Richie said as we began to stroll alongside him. He then pointed towards Carl's father. "Hey, ain't that your old man up there?"

"That's him. I'll bet he had that dog bust the Rec on purpose so we wouldn't be here when those turkeys showed up," Carl frowned.

"Pay no mind. Let's go to the store. I'm hungry" I said. "You heard the lady," Richie replied. Poor Johnny was alone so Richie invited him to walk with us. "Come on John man, don't worry about it. Just as well you couldn't tell that pig what you thought of him. He would've busted your ass too," Richie ruffled Johnny's hair and with that, we left.