12.

The hardware store was located in the middle of the neighbourhood. Richie had me up from early and prowling the streets searching for fun as he called it. Inside was an old man, unpacking products from wooden boxes. He greeted us with a simple nod, indicating he wasn't looking for much conversation. That suited us better anyway. 

We passed many tools in quest of the paint section.

"Ah here we go, paints," Richie said as he trailed the aisle curiously. "We shouldn't buy much, the prices are high," I pointed out in a hushed tone. "Who said anything about buying?" Richie shot me a glance. We had the money, but Richie liked the thrill despite any consequences. He was young and fearless.

"We're buying one, at least. That man looks too sweet and I'd feel bad if we were caught" I stated. Swiftly, he began to sneak cans of spray paint into his bag. I picked up a blue can and held it in my hands. "Okay, this should do," he spoke and I followed him to the counter. The man joined us, peering at the can in my hands.

"Is that all you want, one can? It won't cover much depending on the dimensions of the wall" he explained politely. I dipped into my purse and paid anyway. "We've got portions at home, thanks," I smiled. The man didn't suspect any wrongdoing and we left the store quickly. "Buy one, get as much as you like free," Richie joked carelessly.

It didn't take us long to find a rundown casino that had a lengthy abandoned side alley. With his head held high, Richie marched his way down and began sifting through the bag. I asked, "What're you going to paint?" Although I didn't need to. We covered our faces with our shirts to keep out the fumes as I watched him spray 'small dick Doberman' on the bricked wall.

I laughed, imagining the sheer, mortified look on Doberman's face if he ever saw this. Richie sprayed it in capitals too so you couldn't miss it. "Your turn," Richie smirked. Keeping it simple, I decided to go with the moon and stars. I was so concentrated on mine, I didn't notice Richie starting his second art piece.

Eventually, I stepped back. "All for you baby," Richie said as I turned to look. He had sprayed a heart (which was slightly wonky) with our initials R + A inside. I peeled my shirt off my face and kissed his forehead. "That's so sweet," I gushed. He grinned proudly.

We continued to paint until a patrolling officer caught us in the act. "HEY!" The cop shouted, waving a baton in the air "Stop what you're doing, you vandals!"

Richie wasted no time in grabbing my hand as we began to run in the opposite direction. "Go back to the motel, I'll meet you there," he ordered. "But-" was all I could say because he cut me off. "Just go, I'm not letting you take the blame," he said firmly. That was when we parted ways and I helplessly watched as the officer tackled Richie to the ground, locking him in handcuffs.

I did as I was told and raced back to the motel, hiding in the room with the curtains drawn shut tightly. I panicked big time, feeling my insides twist and loop. We didn't have any adults to bust him out and I sure as hell was not about to call them for help. To take my mind off it, I packed our clothes as our trip was soon coming to an end.

At some point after eating dinner alone, I fell asleep. My rest was disturbed when a rattling at the door caught my groggy attention. It was dark by then and I feared that a stranger was trying to break in. Out of instinct, I picked up the chair ready to throw it when Richie entered the room, the light shining brightly against his sweaty skin when he switched it on.

"Oh Richie," I ditched the chair and ran into his shackled arms "How the hell did you get out?" I demanded curiously.

"I told the stupid pig that I needed the bathroom along the way. He stopped the car by some bushes and I made a run for it. Hid behind a dumpster for all this time until I was able to sneak back," he explained breathlessly. "Yeah, smells like it," I pulled a face when I recognised the mild stench that hung in the air.

"Get me out of this," he sighed. Using a bobby pin, I was able to free Richie from the handcuffs. They had rubbed his wrists red and sore, prompting me to give him a careful massage. "There's dinner on the table, it's cold though," I said. "Thanks, Adrien. Hey look, I'm sorry 'bout the trouble. We should stay here tomorrow" he replied thoughtfully.

I shook my head. "It's our last day and I want to go to the beach."

"Are you nuts? That's an hour away from here and the cops will be looking for me."

"Throw a hoodie on, I'm not having my final day spoiled," I crossed my arms. Richie gazed at me, slowly breaking into a smile. "You know, that's why I really like you. Even if we're in trouble, you still want to have a good time," he expressed. "I guess I'm trying to make the most of my time with you," I said softly as we laid together.

Holding hands, I snuggled into his warm embrace, not caring that he should've showered first. "I really like you too," I whispered. Puppy love, as most adults would refer to us. I felt this need to be with him all the time, no matter what anyone thought of us. In my head, I planned that we were going to be together for a long, long time. 

"Richie?" I looked up at him, only to see that he had fallen asleep. With a quiet giggle, I carefully tucked the blanket around his fetal-positioned body and placed a gentle kiss against his skin. "Sweet dreams, baby."