11.

My foot tapped impatiently against the concrete. "We've been waiting around for nearly twenty minutes, make up your mind," I snapped. "Alright, that's what I'm trying to do," Richie shot back. Then he started walking and I followed him, rolling my eyes. The locals stared at us and I knew the reason why. Two young, stranger kids not in school certainly caught their eye but nobody spoke a word to us.

We spent most of the day exploring. Despite the neighbourhood being run down, the place had a lot more to offer than New Granada. They had a cinema, a few sweet treat diners and even a local arcade. "Well, aren't they lucky?" I commented on it. Richie agreed with a nod. "C'mon, I think I finally know what we're gonna do," he said.

Taking advantage of their hangout spots, Richie and I sneaked into an 18+ horror movie through the back door without paying. Richie insisted. He even stole a bag of candies on the way. I was secretly glad there weren't any nudity scenes because Richie's eyes were glued to the screen with ease but I would hide my face in his neck whenever I got scared.

When the movie eventually came to a close, we sauntered out through the front as if we didn't commit any wrongdoing. We would've continued to walk around but it began to rain. Since we had no umbrella, we ended up at a bar for cover. 

"We can't go in there," I halted but Richie dragged me inside anyway. It was extremely dingy but packed. By the looks of it, I was the only female. Men of all ages were sitting at the tables drinking, the smell of beer and burgers hung in the air. It was clear we didn't belong.

"Let's go," I hissed at Richie but he ignored me and walked confidently up to the bar as I followed silently. "Two vodkas, please" he ordered. The bartender remained calm but let out a hearty laugh. "Nice try kid. Come back when your adult teeth have kicked in" he snorted. Richie frowned harshly. "I'll have you know I'm old enough. My ID says so," Richie dug into his pocket and flashed it proudly.

Mr Bartender gave one quick peek. "You think I haven't seen punks like you pass by? I can spot a fake from a mile away," he scoffed. I thought we'd be thrown out but instead, he poured us two apple juices. "Sit in the corner and mind your business. I don't normally let young'uns hang here but I like your attempt to persuade me," he said.

Defeated, Richie flopped down into his seat. "Damn, I really thought it'd work," he grumbled. "We can't fool everyone. I really think that motel lady doesn't care but she must've noticed" I replied thoughtfully. My hands grasped the glass tightly as I waited to leave. Richie took his precious time, even engaging in conversation with a random dude who joined our table.

"Couldn't pull the wool over Kev's eyes?" He motioned towards Mr Bartender. Richie shook his head with a laugh. The man introduced himself as Lloyd before asking where we were from. "New Granada, but I call it New Granola," Richie grinned. Lloyd chuckled. "I grew up there, moved here in my twenties," he replied.

"Really? Why did you move?" I asked.

"For my job. My roommate was keeping me up at night anyway, all those calls back and forth. I couldn't wait to sleep properly" Lloyd answered. "Calls?" Richie wondered aloud. "Oh, you might know him, Ed Doberman. He was training at the time to join the department," said Lloyd. "You know Doberman?!" Richie and I exchanged surprised glances.

"Sure do. We went to school together" Lloyd smiled.

"Wow, what was he like?" I asked curiously. Lloyd went quiet for a moment. "Well, he was kind to me. I remember he was very stubborn though. The type of guy that always has to be right, even when he's wrong," he recalled. "That pig always has it out for me," Richie huffed. "You've got character, kid," Lloyd took a sip of his drink "You remind me of my younger self."

I asked, "Do you keep in contact with Doberman?"

Lloyd shook his head. "Oh no no, I've had a few run-ins with the law myself. Doubt he would remember me anyway, being so high up and all. I'll tell ya something though. Ed was once suspended for storming into the wrong home. Scared an elderly lady near death. She wasn't happy with his error."

Richie burst out laughing. "Just when you think he couldn't get any more stupid."

I drank until my cup emptied. The rain was pattering harder than ever but I just wanted to head back. Whilst it was nice meeting Lloyd, I wanted to spend time with Richie alone. We were forced to wait inside for nearly an hour, Richie and Lloyd were deep in conversation unbothered by the weather. Mr bartender offered me another refill but I declined politely.

When the rain finally ceased, I let out a sigh of relief. Before we left, Richie scribbled his number down and handed it to Lloyd. "What'd you do that for?" I asked once we were outside. "Just in case he's got any more stories about Doberman," Richie shrugged. I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, what's the plan for tomorrow?"

"We passed by a hardware store earlier. We could buy some spray paint and leave our mark here" he grinned. "You already terrorize our home, now you wanna do it here too?" I raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, I do. You gonna join me or what?" He replied. To spare an argument, I gave in on one condition. 

"Fine, but on the last day here we have to do whatever I choose," I said firmly. Richie didn't fight me on that, a very smart move. Instead, he wrapped an arm around me as we headed back to the motel. "Whatever you want baby," he smirked before kissing my forehead. I smiled because I knew exactly what I wanted to do.