𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊. PIGGYBACK

━━━━  𝗧𝗘𝗔𝗠 !
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

After countless minutes of listening to Jonathan's protests, Argyle swerved the van into an empty parking space at the nearest gas station he could find. The lot featured a quaint little convenience store that appeared as if it received little to no business — in all fairness, it was located in an extremely small town in the middle of nowhere.

Inside the store was a middle-aged employee who looked like he hadn't slept in days. He was hunched over the counter with a cigarette tucked between his fingers and a tabloid magazine in his right hand.

"I'm gonna go grab some snacks. You guys want anything?" Mike asked, motioning toward the small establishment.

"M&M's," El piped up.

"Reese's Pieces, please," Will chimed in.

Mike responded with a firm nod before pivoting around and walking into the convenience store. Through the windows, Will was able to see the employee rolling his eyes after the ravenette entered. He chuckled to himself and wandered away to check on his brother.

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🎱 ꒱

While Argyle filled the van's gas tank, Jonathan anxiously stood at the payphone with the telephone pressed to his ear. He had spent the past thirty minutes phoning multiple airports and begging for a flight to Indianapolis.

"No, no. Like I said, I . . . I've tried everyone," He scolded the woman on the opposite end. "Yeah, TWA, Pan Am, and Eastern."

Mike, El, and Will paced back and forth while they waited for the older teenager to find a solution. Catching a flight to Hawkins was their only hope, as the van certainly wouldn't get them there in time.

"No, it doesn't have to be a one-way. I'll take one seat if you have it."

Jonathan paused to allow the airport associate to respond. After a few seconds, his rambling continued.

"I mean, please, there has to be something you can do. One of our family members is really, really sick and I don't know if she's gonna make it through the night. Is there any way that you could just . . . no, no, no! Like I said before, I've tried them already!"

Unbeknownst to the boys, El slowly wandered away to get a closer look at a billboard she spotted in the distance.

"Okay, well, is there any way that I could speak to a manager? There's . . . there's no one there?"

The girl's gaze was fixated on a billboard reading: SCENIC ROUTE AHEAD — NEXT RIGHT. She seemed to be deep in thought.

"No, that's the problem. I can't call back."

El continued to study the billboard, her eyebrows furrowing as she thought to herself. Maybe there was another way to help her friends.

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🎱 ꒱

"Damn it!" Jonathan shouted, slamming the telephone back into its designated spot.

"What'd they say?" Will asked.

"Earliest is tomorrow."