𝒙𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒗. I WANNA BE YOURS

━━━━ 𝗧𝗘𝗔𝗠 !
𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

The unexpected kiss was nothing more than a quick and innocent peck on the lips, but in Will Byers' honest opinion, it was phenomenal. The simple gesture was a solid piece of evidence confirming that Mike Wheeler miraculously reciprocated his feelings.

What made the short-lived moment exceptionally special was the blatant fact that it was the brunette's very first kiss. That concept in itself explained why he remained as still as a statue when his best friend's lips were pressed against his own. The action occurred so unexpectedly and ended before his brain had the opportunity to process what was transpiring.

Will's cheeks grew redder than a fully-ripened tomato after the ravenette pulled away. His heart thumped at an alarming pace, practically beating out of his tightened chest. His stomach was filled to the brim with trillions of butterflies. Even though he barely had the chance to embrace the euphoric sensation, he found himself missing the warmth of the freckled boy's lips.

He discreetly pinched the skin on his left wrist to confirm that he wasn't dreaming. His breath hitched when he realized that he was indeed awake. He slowly trailed his index finger across his lips in an attempt to recall what the kiss felt like. This couldn't have been a reality.

Mike, on the other hand, experienced an entirely contrary reaction. A varying mixture of emotions flashed through his diaphragm. His face went ghastly pale and his mouth was agape. He appeared as if he were about to projectile vomit all over himself and the other boy.

"Shit," The ravenette panicked, an ocean of tears threatening to spill from his glassy eyes. "Shit, shit, shit! I'm so sorry — I don't know what I was thinking!"

Will was determined to convince the younger boy that he wasn't angry or upset with him in any manner, but it was too late. Mike had dashed out of the room before the brunette could allow a single word to slip out of his mouth.

"Mike!" The Byers boy called out. "Mike, come back!"

Hollering his name into the abyss of the hallway was no use, as the boy had already vanished. Will knew he needed to search for him, but he didn't want his step-sister to freak out when she realized both of them were missing.

As a solution to his slight dilemma, Will hastily yanked a pen and a sheet of notebook paper out of his tattered backpack. He quickly scribbled a message onto the paper to let El know that he was looking for Mike and would soon return.

After placing the note on top of the bedside table and exiting the motel room, his mission to locate his best friend had officially begun.

˗ˏˋ꒰ 🎱 ꒱

Will checked every nook and cranny of the small motel — or so he thought. There were zero signs of Mike in the lobby, the van, or the building's exterior. He knew the boy wouldn't have been bold enough to leave the property, so he didn't understand how he hadn't located him yet.

Suddenly, a brilliant realization struck his head like a lightning bolt.

He hadn't checked the swimming pool.

The pool was an odd location for one to linger in the middle of the night, but Will knew his best friend like the back of his own hand. If he were to flee to any location to calm his nerves, it would be near a body of water. Simply allowing the natural sounds produced by the liquid to flow through his ears was effective enough to shove his anxious thoughts aside.

The Byers boy carefully unlatched the old, creaky gate leading to the pool. Upon entering, he was met with the strong scent of chlorinated water as well as Mike's lanky figure perched at the edge of the pool, his black jeans rolled up to his shins so that he could dip his feet in the water. His freckled cheeks were stained with tears and he wouldn't stop sniffling.