Chapter: Nine

• • •

• • •

"Drained"
Chapter 008

» 受け «

"The heavens favored her."

For the past week, you and Yua had grown closer. She'd often remind you how much easier it was to talk and get comfortable around you since the other concubines were either locked away or competitive in Sukuna's favor.

Since Yua was the most favored royal concubine for her loyalty and obedience she lived in luxury and was treated with more respect. You understood why, she really had a kind heart.

Currently, the two of you were walking in the garden with maids walking behind you. 

Your eye caught the glimpse of a woman watering red spider lilies. "Who's that?" You asked Yua who averted her eyes towards the direction you were looking at. Yua made a sad expression before speaking.

"She was Sukuna's wife." 

You averted your eyes back to Yua with a curious expression. "Was?" You asked.

"Her story is rather tragic," Yua said with a smile weak.

"She was Sukuna's wife back when Sukuna was also a human, an incredible sorcerer at that. Since he was so powerful, King Kaido engaged his daughter with him as a gift. Unfortunately, she had been in love with her own advisor who served her long before she met Sukuna. Once the news spread about her affair with him and her getting pregnant, Sukuna killed him off and made sure Sakura had a miscarriage. Since then she has been hallucinating that her child is still with her in this world." Yua explained. 

Sukuna had been evil even before he became a curse. It only made you wonder more. "Why did he keep her?" You asked genuinely. You were surprised Sukuna didn't kill her off.

"He likes to remind himself of his own achievements, she's one of them." She spoke with sadness lingering in her voice. You couldn't help but pity the woman. It must have been hard on her part. 

"We should greet her!" You suggested, but Yua quickly disagreed. "No, that might not be a good idea. She could get upset. Plus, Sukuna has ordered us not to talk to her."

"We shouldn't disobey him," Yua added. But let's be honest, when have you ever followed his rules? He wouldn't hurt you anyway, since you're crucial to his ritual. So, you approached the woman despite Yua's warning.

Yua stayed put, clearly concerned about your actions. She wanted to ensure you stayed safe.

You walked up to the woman and sat down on the grass beside her. She was too engrossed in tending to the spider lilies to notice you. "Hey, Haru, your mom planted those lilies you love," she said with a smile, not even glancing your way.