Chapter : Sixteen

• • •

• • •

"Drained"
Chapter 016

» 受け «

"Even with your words, I found despair."

"Are you really going away for a whole year?" Your heart sank as the devastating news reached your ears.

Sitting on his throne with you seated on his lap, Sukuna explained, "Troops are gathering in the northwest of Japan, aiming to assassinate me. There are matters I must attend to."

Feeling a wave of distress, you stammered, "But what about me? What will happen here in your absence?" The thought of being alone without him weighed heavily on your mind. You longed to accompany him, uncertain of how you would manage on your own.

Reassuringly, Sukuna replied, "No one will dare disrespect you. Yin will be there to take care of you. The palace's cursed energy still resonates, ensuring your safety while I'm alive." His words provided some solace as you sighed, leaning into his comforting embrace.

"Can't I come with you?" you pleaded.

"It's too dangerous. A woman should not venture outside her home," Sukuna remarked, clicking his tongue as he reclined on his throne, his hand propping up his chin.

With a heavy sigh, you spoke, "This palace will eat me alive in your absence." Your words carried a sense of honesty. You knew the concubines would seize any opportunity to undermine you, and the tedium would be unbearable. The only thing you liked besides Sukuna was reading books, tending to the gardens, and spending time with Yua.

"I'm certain you'll manage just fine," he assured, though his words offered little comfort.

At that moment, a group of sorcerers entered the throne hall, bowing respectfully before the king.

"We have assembled sorcerers and cursed beings, forming our troops. We stand ready, Your Highness," one of the men announced.

Sukuna hummed in response. "Proceed to the meeting hall. I will join you shortly," he instructed, and the group departed from the throne hall.

You tightened your grip on Sukuna's kimono, which hung loosely on his hips. "Are you leaving so soon?" you murmured softly.

"The sooner, the better," he replied, his tone resolute.

You got off his lap, making way for his leave. Uncertainty filled your mind as you wondered how long he would be gone, hoping it wouldn't exceed a week.

"I will send you letters, my slave," Sukuna said, gently cupping your cheeks. Your lips formed a slight pout, feeling a hint of annoyance at the term "slave."