Chapter: Eighteen

• • •

• • •

"Drained"

Chapter 018

» 受け «

"So many words yet nothing comes out."

Kumiko, the woman with fiery orange hair, persistently pestered Uraume, who had witnessed the encounter between you and Yin in the garden. "So, tell me!" she urged, curious to know if there had been any kissing or other intimate activities. Uraume sighed, finding Kumiko's incessant questioning rather bothersome. "No, they didn't kiss, but they appeared to be very close," Uraume informed her.

Kumiko scoffed in response. "Ha! Just wait until Sukuna finds out; he'll have her beheaded!" With that declaration, she hurried off towards the halls. Uraume shook her head, recognizing Kumiko's naivety. Kumiko had no idea about the strong bond you had formed with Sukuna. Taking you down would require more than just informing him that you were seen in close proximity to another male.

While en route to Sukuna's chamber, Kumiko unexpectedly crossed paths with you, accompanied by a fellow guard. Kumiko averted her gaze and bowed, as you felt the anger from earlier resurfacing within you. Although you remained unfamiliar with this woman and her intentions with Sukuna, your disdain for her grew intensely. Normally, you would have confronted and dragged her without hesitation. However, Sukuna's words from earlier echoed in your mind like a relentless curse.

Deciding to ignore her, you walked past Kumiko. She appeared taken aback by your indifference, but at least her hair remained unharmed from any potential altercation.

She strolled down the grand hall, a contented hum escaping her lips. Upon reaching Sukuna's chamber, a smug smirk formed on her face as she approached him. He was engrossed in reading an ancient script, something she found unbearably dull. What was the allure of those writings anyway? Nevertheless, residing in the palace was a lifelong dream come true. Gone were the days when she was a mere shrine maiden, subjected to mistreatment by everyone.

Gone were the meager rations of bread and porridge that sustained her. In the palace, she could feast on whatever she desired, whenever she pleased. It was a dream come true, and she intended to survive even after the marriage. She would win Sukuna's favor by any means necessary, eliminating any potential threats. No one would snatch this newfound life away from her. They had already taken her lover, a slave, and mercilessly ended his life. He had been the embodiment of kindness, and she had never deserved such cruelty.

"What are you reading?" she asked, though she was well aware what Sukuna was reading nearly 90% of his day of those scripts. Sukuna, knowing the futility of her question, remained silent. Irritated by his lack of response, she decided to drop the information she gathered earlier.