8

Derek held the little girl's hand as they walked up to the gate. He glanced to the security guard as they walked to the desk. Derek pulled his boarding pass from his pocket and they nodded for him to pass as they accepted Zoey's boarding pass as well.

"It looks like you two are sitting next to one another." The flight attendant said with a smile as Derek nodded slightly.

"She promised to entertain me." Derek said as Zoey held Derek's hand tightly.

"I think you two are going to be troublemakers..." The flight attendant laughed as she followed the two of them down the hallway to the seats that they were assigned. Derek allowed Zoey to slide in to the seat close to the window and he buckled her in as the flight attendant watched on, ensuring that she was happy and comfortable on the flight. "Alright... if she needs anything, Mr. Shepherd, please let me know." She said as she handed Derek Zoey's bag, which he slid beneath the seat in front of her.

"I will." Derek nodded as the flight attendant turned to help other passengers as Derek rested for a moment in his seat. He turned his head to see Zoey staring out the window as the airport people placed the bags into the cargo hold. "What's so exciting out there?" Derek asked as he watched her wide eyes staring out of the small window.

"What are they doing?" She asked, looking up at Derek and then out the window again.

"They're losing luggage." Derek said as he watched them drop a bag onto the ground and then swing it back up and slam it onto the top of the pile. "Probably breaking stuff..."

"Huh?" She asked as she turned her head.

"They're putting the bags in the plane so that everyone will have their clothes when they get to Seattle." Derek explained.

"Oh." She nodded as she continued to watch, pulling her bear tighter into her arms.

Derek chuckled as she watched, her eyes entranced on the actions of the workers. He turned his head and closed his eyes, leaning his head back on the seat, he rested for a moment. He sat there for several minutes, his eyes closed as he suddenly felt like he was being stared at. He turned his head slowly and watched Zoey for a moment as her eyes stared not at his face, but at his side. Her eyes moved up to his eyes and she looked away quickly. "What is it?" He asked as she continued to look out the window, holding her bear tighter.

"Nothing." She whimpered as she now stared at her reflection in the window, seeing Derek's eyes looking directly at her.

"Come on... you can tell me... what's wrong? Are you worried about the plane?" He asked, fairly sure that it wasn't what she was thinking.

"No." She replied in a soft voice, her fingers running over the bear's soft pink fur.

"Were you looking at my pager?" He asked as she continued to stare out the window. She didn't answer him, but could feel him watching her. After a few moments, she nodded slowly. "Hey... what are you so worried about?"

"Peepers are bad." She whispered as she turned her eyes to Derek. Her gray eyes were soulful and concerned, her voice was whispery and anxious as her eyes moved to the pager and then back up to Derek's eyes. "They're very bad." She said as she swallowed hard.

"Do you want me to put it away?" He asked, watching her eyes close tightly and look up at him again, she opened her mouth and then closed it quickly as she shook her head.

"No... no, it's okay." She said as she gave him a quick smile.

"I can put it away if you want me to."

"No, just don't go to heaven." She whispered.

"You're really going to have to stop it with that... it's creepy." Derek admitted as the little girl smirked at him. "I'm not going to heaven... I promise."