79

Derek sat in the chair beside the bed for several moments. He watched the little girl in the bed as she pressed her face into Meredith's shoulder, cuddling closer as she seemed to slip into a contented sleep. He glanced to the door, his stomach knotting at the thought of what Cristina had said, his head spinning with her words. He stood up abruptly, dialing a phone number on his cell phone, he waited. "I need you to come in here and watch her, please." Derek whispered as he swallowed hard.

"What happened?" Mark asked, his voice soft and sleepy.

"I just need you to... come in here and watch her for a little while... I don't want to bring her to an on call room, I want her to stay with Meredith for as long as possible... I have to do something." Derek said determinedly.

"What do you have to do, Derek?" Mark asked.

"I have to... research something." He said as he heard Mark moving around. "Are you coming?" He asked. "I can have Izzie watch..."

"I'm coming, hold your horses..." Mark muttered. "What happened?"

"Nothing happened... please." Derek whispered as he heard the door opening, and glanced to see Mark flip his phone closed.

"What happened?"

"Nothing happened." Derek said as he ran his fingertips through his hair and swallowed hard.

"You look like you've been crying... what's going on with you, Derek? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine... can you watch her?" Derek asked.

"I can watch her." Mark replied.

"Call me if anything happens... call me if she wakes up... call me if..."

"Shut up and go, man..." Mark said as he plopped down in the chair. "I can handle it."

"Thanks, Mark." Derek whispered, and with that, he slipped out the door and made his way quickly toward Lexie's room in the ICU.