Chapter Five: The Flea and The Acrobat

El was laying down on the couch on her stomach

El was laying down on the couch on her stomach. Mike is sitting on the end of the couch. Gabby was sitting on the armchair while Lucas sat on the arm of the chair with Gabby's head on him half asleep, and Dustin sat on the stairs. Gabby was listening to the boys talk as she snuggled up on Lucas who couldn't help but blush.

"What was Will saying?" Mike asks. "Like home, like home. But dark?" Mike stands up slowly.

"And empty," Lucas adds.

Dustin sighs, "Empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?"

"I don't know," Lucas says, frustrated. "The stupid radio kept going in and out."

Dustin sighs again. "It's like riddles in the dark."

"Like home," Mike muses. "Like his house?"

"Or maybe like Hawkins," Lucas says.

"Upside Down," El whispers.

"What'd she say?" Lucas asks.

"Upside down," Gabby says weakly.

"What?" Lucas asks again.

"Upside down," Mike says more forcefully.

"Mike remember the game board?" Gabby connects Mike looks at her and nods. He walks over to the table where the board is and sits down.

"When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember?" Mike says, flipping the board over. Lucas and Dustin crowd around him. Gabby slowly walks over to the table.

"Upside down," Mike continues. "Dark. Empty."

"Do you understand what he's talking about?"
Lucas asks Dustin.

"No," Dustin says.

"Yes, guys come on, just think about it," Gabby encourages. "When El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?"

"Yeah," Lucas says, "and he wasn't there."

"But what if he was there?" Mike persists.

"What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side? What if this is Hawkins-" Mike flips the game board right side up as Gabby continues. "-and--" He flips it upside down again.

"-This is where Will is? The Upside Down." Mike continues for her.

"Like the Vale of Shadows," Dustin realizes.

Mike and Dustin look earnestly at Lucas. Dustin walks over to Mike's shelf, pulls out the Dungeons and Dragons rule book, walks back, and flips through it until he finds what he's looking for.

"The Vale of Shadows," Dustin reads, "is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world. It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters. It is right next to you, and you don't even see it."