Chapter Seven: The Bite

"He said he was building something," El said while the group could hear the fireworks go off in the distance

"That it was all for me and El," Gabby said recalling what the mind flayer said to them.

"Building something... Is he talking about the flayed?" Max asks, sitting next to El on the couch.

"He must be," Nancy says.

"So, he's building an army, just like we thought," Lucas concludes.

"Yeah, but he's not building this army to spread," Mike says.

"He's building it to stop Eleven and Gabby," Will realizes.

"Last year, El and Gabby closed the gate on him," Mike explains. "I have a feeling that really pissed him off."

"Like, royally," Lucas adds.

"And the Mind Flayer now knows that they are the only thing that can stop him," Mike continues. "But if they're out of the way..."

"Game over," Lucas finishes.

"He also said he was gonna kill all of you," Gabby told them anxiously.

They all looked nervous, and everyone went silent for a few seconds.

"Yeah, well, that's nice," Max remarked sarcastically.

Gabby heard a faint screeching noise in the distance and something didn't seem right about it she turned her head towards the door and listened closely and it was getting closer and louder.

Nancy heard it as well she walked towards the window to try and see what it was or where it was coming from.

"Something coming," Gabby said while she listened.

"Do you guys hear that?" she asked them.

"It's just the fireworks," Jonathan shrugged. Gabby could see Nancy's eyes widen.

"Billy! When he told you guys this, it was here, in this room?" she questioned, scared. Gabby and El both nodded and then they realized, exchanging terrified looks.

The thudding and fluttering noise was getting closer and closer.

"He knows we're here," Will announces.

The group of eight quickly rush out of the cabin, walking down the porch steps. They stare at the fireworks in the sky.

Gabby looked toward the trees, and she could see the Mind Flayer making its way toward them, knocking down trees as it goes. Nancy gets a shotgun, Jonathan grabs an ax, and the rest of them put furniture and mattresses up against the doors and windows.

"Hey, get away from the windows!" Nancy warned Mike, holding and loading her gun, ready to shoot the Mind Flayer.

They all stood in the middle of the cabin, scanning the room cautiously. The lamps and lights were flickering so it was close and they knew that any second now, the Mind Flayer would break in.