Episode 8

~My Encounter With Haruno Is Wrong, As I Expected~

Achievement unlocked: A Grenade For Your Fiancé

With her mouth agape, Shizuka stared wide-eyed in shock at the ring in the box. She slowly brought her hand to cover her mouth as her cheeks turned a shade of rosy pink. She stood like that for what seemed like an endless moment, before closing the small black box with a chick.

Before I knew it Shizuka rushed up to me, grabbed me with one hand by my uniform shirt right where my tie would have been, and started to shake me violently back and forth.

'In this world~, it's just us~ You know it's not the same as it was~ As it was~, as it was~ You know it's not the same~'

Ah, I don't think that's the right song for this distraction-chan...

To an outside observer, we must look like a shady loan shark and her deadbeat client. It was certainly not the look of a man who just gave his fiancé an engagement ring.

"JUST WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?! ARE TRYING TO KILL ME?! YOU ALMOST GAVE ME A HEART-ATTACK YOU DAMN BRAT!"

'You~ will squeeze~ the life out of me~'

Could you not throttle me like I'm the internet Shizuka? Oi! Oi! My feet aren't touching the ground anymore you knooooow~!

'Bury it~ I won't let you bury it~ I won't let you smother it~ I won't let you murder it~'

I clasped the upper part of her arm that was still violently shaking me like a ragdoll.

"In what world could you possibly think just casually tossing me something like THAT would, in any way, be a good idea?! Hyan?!" She said glaring at me with those lovely grey eyes. Is this how I die Haruhi?

'And our time is running out~ And our time is running out~'

"This is a consular ship... we're on a diplomatic mission..." I wheezed.

She really knew how to leave a guy breathless, especially when she smirks like that.

"If this is a consular ship, where is the Ambassador? Damn it! This isn't the time for Star Wars you idiot!"

She finally drops me as she moves her hand to the top of her forehead. She still had the ring clutched in the other hand which she brought close to her amazing chest.

'You can't push it underground~ You can't stop it screaming out~ How did it come to this~?'

Um, distraction-chan, Hachi-kun needs to focus on Shizuka-chan right now. How about you go play with your fren Kyon? He seems lonely distraction-chan.

"Seriously, don't you know that giving me something like THIS is wrong? Look Hachiman, I don't deserve—"

"YES, YOU DO."

I stood up dusting my off pants and straightening my shirt. I looked her right into the eyes.

"You do deserve it Shizuka. What, did you think I would continue to shamelessly call you my fiancé and not give you a ring? It should be obvious that I would give you an engagement ring after proposing to you. It's even in those stupid magazines my sister reads! I thought it would make you happy damn it!"

"Idiot! Dumbass! You Hachiman!" Oi, did you learn that from Komachi? "Of course makes me happy! Still isn't THIS a bit too much?!"

"For you, it's definitely not."