Talk To Me - Eddie Munson x Fem!Reader

No matter how hard she tried, sleep just wouldn't come to her. She had tried everything. A hot bath followed by a glass of warm milk, had even tried counting sheep but that unsurprisingly didn't help either. Usually when she couldn’t sleep Eddie would be there, he'd pull her into his chest an arm wrapped around her as he told random stories. The warmth of his body, the steady rhythm of his heart beating just under where her head was resting and the gentle calmness that his voice gave her would lull her into slumber.

Tonight though that wasn't an option, he had told her that he didn't want to be with her anymore, no explanation just the expectation for her to leave. She'd made it home just as the rain started, soft and slow just like her tears that were coming to an end as she'd cried herself out. Exhausted and cold stumbled her way through the dark house and up to her room where she'd climbed into bed without even bothering to change, just wrapping herself in the blankets and hoping to slip into sleep but that hadn't come.

Now she'd resigned herself to staring at the ceiling in the dark of her room not knowing, or caring, how long she'd been laid there. Only knowing that in that time the rain had stopped and started again, heavier this time, that's when the tears started again. 

Everything had been going fine, great even. Only this afternoon he was kissing her like there was no tomorrow and telling her how much he loved her, then mere hours later he'd decided he didn't want to be with her. She couldn’t work it out though she was glad her parents weren't home as she didn't think she could deal with the 'I told you so's' when they found out. It was something they'd said from the beginning that Eddie would only break her heart and that dating him was just her asking to be hurt, of course she'd ignored them as there was much more to Eddie than people saw. He was sweet, funny, passionate and protective over those he loves but now she's starting to think it was all an act to get her to fall for him, for him to get his fill then drop her and move onto the next fool that came along.

Lost in the pitiful thoughts filling her mind she missed the sounds of something hitting against her window, instead mistaking it for the sounds of rain and it wasn't until the sound got louder as if something larger had bounced off the glass that she took note. When the same noise happened again she pulled herself up from the bed to take a look and there in the light of the street lamps was a very wet looking Eddie.

What the hell was he doing here, coming to gloat over how stupid she was for letting herself get lost in his game. Although the thought crossed her mind, she didn't believe it was true and though she couldn’t see his face from where she stood she could see from how he stood that it wasn't the stance of someone who was pleased with themselves. In the dim light she could see the miserable look on his face, the way his shoulders sagged and the way his hands fidgeted with what she guessed was another stone that he was preparing to throw at the window.

Talking with him was the last thing she wanted to do right now but no matter how upset with him she was she couldn't leave him out there in the rain. Pushing away from the window she made her way down to the front door, switching on the light and opening it just in time to see Eddie turning to walk away, clearly giving up hope of seeing her.

"Eddie" she croaks out his name, her voice hoarse from crying. He turns, eyes wide staring at her as if he can't believe she's there.

When he doesn't move, she doesn't hesitate to go to him, not even bothering to stop to put on shoes or a coat, she just walks straight towards him. She stops in front of him, leaving some space as she's still unsure of his sudden appearance after everything that had happened although now she's closer she can see his red rimmed eyes and the wetness on his face is not just from the rain. Her chest tightens and she can feel the tears begin to well in her eyes again as she looks at him standing in front of her looking so vulnerable. Before she can stop herself she's closing the gap between them and wrapping her arms around his neck to pull him into a hug ignoring the rain that's soaking through her clothes and chilling her to the bone.