I'm Sorry - Steve Harrington x Fem!Reader

She couldn’t remember how the argument had started, only knew that right now they were up in each other's faces screaming at each other. She had tried to get away to calm down so that they could talk about it without the screaming but every time she tried to step away Steve followed, clearly not content with letting her walk away. Until the red hot anger that was filling her was washed away like the tide leaving the shore the moment she slammed Steve’s bedroom door shut in his face with a few choice words that she didn’t really mean, leaving her with an overwhelming feeling of guilt.

Once the door was closed she could still hear him on the other side asking her to open it but that died down after a couple of minutes until she was left in silence. Silence that she sorely needed as all the shouting had left her with a headache, whether because of the loudness of it all or the stress it brought on she didn’t know. Leaning back against the door she let her body sink until she was sitting on the plush carpet with her knees against her chest and head resting on them as she tried to fight back the tears she knew were coming.

Normally a small argument never upset her but this was her and Steve, they never argued. Plus this didn’t feel like a small thing not with the way they were screaming or with the only way she could get a break was to slam a door in his face.

Ignoring the wetness of her face and the ache that was beginning to form in her legs because of how long she’d been unknowingly sat on the floor for, she reluctantly pushed herself up and padded over to the bed hoping that exhaustion would overtake her and she would wake up in the morning and this would all be a bad dream. Only that didn’t happen, once she was in the bed and wrapped in the sheets, she was surrounded by the scent of him and her mind seemed to want to torment her even more as all she could picture was the look on his face and hear the anger in his voice.

Just like earlier when she had been sat on the floor she had no idea how long she’d been laid under the covers tossing and turning, for all she knew it could have been five minutes or five hours but she was certain of one thing, she missed Steve. Deciding that she couldn’t lay there any longer without him, she untangled her legs from the sheets and made her way back to the door, opening it slowly as she was half expecting him to be sat there with his back against it and she didn’t want him to fall backwards and possibly hurt himself.

A mixture of emotion filled her when she found that he wasn’t there. Disappointment that he’d given up and left her but also relief that he wasn’t sitting on the cold floor while she’d been relatively comfy in his bed. Leaving his room she found herself tiptoeing through the house, although she wasn’t sure why as his parents weren’t even home as per usual so it was only her and Steve, she figured that it was because she didn’t want him to hear her coming so that he couldn’t start round two of the argument.

What she hadn’t realised while she’d locked herself in his room, Steve had found the blanket that he always kept for her to use when she was round, the one that smelled of her perfume and had wrapped himself up in it on the couch in the living room. He had switched the tv on in hopes of a distraction but he had no idea what was on as his mind had gone into overdrive, only focusing on those few words she’d spat as she slammed the door in his face.

“Maybe we should just break up”

They played in his head on loop and he was sure that that was it for the two of them, come the morning she would emerge from his room and ask him to take her home and that would be the last he saw of her. Or she would call her parents to come pick her up and slip out while he was asleep, if he ever fell asleep that was but what he didn’t expect was to look up and see her standing a few feet away from him, hell he hadn’t even heard her come in the room.

She had started to speak, there was a tremble to her voice and he couldn’t help but hear how sad she sounded. Unable to hear anymore, he stopped her with a sad smile, “It's okay I understand, let me just grab my keys and I’ll take you home” he spoke, trying to keep his voice steady and not sound like his heart was tearing itself in two in his chest.

“Ta-take me home?” she stuttered, her confusion evident in her voice before she sniffed followed by her quickly wiping her eyes on her sleeve, unbothered by the make up stain it would leave behind. “You want me to leave?” she asked, her bottom lip jutting out in a pout as she hoped he wouldn’t see how obviously it quivered as she tried to hold back the sob that was threatening to escape.

“I uh just figured you’d made up your mind and all” he shrugged, still trying to give off the impression that her breaking up with him wasn’t hurting in the slightest and it seemed he was playing the part all too well as the tears she was holding back rolled down her face like the breaking of a dam, slowly at first then uncontrollably until the room was filled with loud sobs and she was gasping for breath so much so that it had Steve in a panic. Within seconds he was up off the couch, the blanket falling from his shoulders in the process but it didn’t even register with him as his whole focus was solely on her.

“Baby no please don’t cry I’m sorry, I-I don’t want you to go, I want you to stay, god I’m such an idiot” he rambled as his hands gently cupped her face to draw her attention to him. His thumbs brushing over her cheeks in what he hoped was a soothing manner but also in a futile attempt to wipe away the tears that were still flowing, albeit not as heavy now.

“You don’t want me to go?” she hiccupped, her hands reaching up to clasp his wrists as if to stop him from leaving even though he wasn’t planning on going anywhere. “Then why did you say?” she started to ask but got cut off by another hiccup after he shook his head in response to her first question.

“You said you wanted to break up, I just figured you’d want to go home rather than stay here” he replied softly, his hands still caressing her cheeks even though the tears had all but stopped now.

“I didn’t mean it, I’m sorry” she sniffed, wriggling out of his grasp and practically throwing herself against him. Her arms were quick to wrap around his middle and she held him tight, face buried in his chest as she was still slightly worried that she would never get to hug him again if she let go. “I love you” her voice was muffled against his sweatshirt but Steve heard it as clear as day.

His whole body relaxed at her words, his arms coming up to envelope her shoulders as he held her just as tight as she was holding him, “I love you too baby, nothing can ever change that” he promised, dipping his head down to place a kiss to the crown of her head just before she shifted in his arms.

“Even when I’m icky and wet from crying and I’m getting it all over you” she asked as her head tilted up to look at him and a soft pout rested on her lips, although this time it was playful rather than an ‘about to burst into tears’

He nodded in response, a small smile playing at his lips, “Now how about cuddles in bed, I’ll be the big spoon so I can make sure you don’t slip away in the night” he teased, pulling a giggle from her. Oh how he’d missed the sound of her laugh, for a while there he didn’t think he’d ever hear it again but he’s so glad he does and he plans to make sure he cherishes everyone because he never knows which one will be the last.

“I would never” she smiles, letting him pull her along and up to his room where he never lets go of her for the rest of the night.