It's Not About The Blanket - Eddie Munson x Fem!Reader

Sharing a blanket with Eddie was not uncommon for her. Movie nights around Steve's or huddled in the back of his van late at night up at Lovers Lake when she needed an escape or late nights after band practice when they're still lounging about in Gareth's garage and she's listening to them discussing their plans to 'take on the world'. You can guarantee that in each of these situations and any other where she has a blanket wrapped around her shoulders it won't be long before Eddie is joining her even though he isn't even cold.

Tonight is one of those nights, albeit it has taken him longer than usual to work his way under her blanket, they're two movies into the marathon instead of just one when she feels the tug of the blanket. Though don't mistake her thoughts as complaints, she is more than happy to share her blanket with him and even happier to be this close to him (not that she would tell him that), but it makes her wonder why he doesn't get his own. Or share with someone else because she's just now come to realise that when Eddie on the rare occasion doesn't sit beside her, he never seems to share a blanket with whoever else is next to him, only when it's her.

She whispers his name so as not to disturb any of the others who are still watching the movie, it's quiet and she doesn't think that he's heard her until a soft hum leaves him in acknowledgement. "Why do you only ever share my blanket?" she asks, it's silly but it's been niggling away at her since the realisation came to her.

"What?" Eddie blinks up at her as his brow furrows and she thinks that maybe he misheard her so she repeats herself.

A sigh comes from beside Eddie before he has any chance to respond, "It's because he's in love with you" Steve's voice deadpans as he barely glances from the screen. Now it's her turn to be confused as she glances between a wide eyed Eddie and an annoyed looking Steve but surely he can't be annoyed that they've interrupted the film because he didn't even want to watch Back to the Future in the first place.

"God you're both as oblivious as each other" Robin pipes up, the film now paused as both her and Steve look at the two of them still cuddled up under the blanket despite the revelation from Steve. "It's not about the blanket, it's about the person" she clarifies with a shake of her head and she swears she sees Robin roll her eyes but maybe she just imagined it.

"So you like me?" she asks, just to clarify, hoping to hear it from Eddie himself rather than their friends.

"Of course I do you're my best friend I wouldn't spend as much time with you if I didn't" he responds, a sarcastic hint to his tone but she knows him well enough to know that it's a defence mechanism, that he's expecting to be turned down if he reveals his true feelings.

"That's not what I meant and you know it Ed" she frowns, shifting away from him as she sits up from her slouched position against the back of the couch.

"Okay yeah, fine they're right" he mumbles, unable to look her in the eyes as he confesses. He also pulls away from her, inching his way out from under the blanket almost as if he's convinced that the rejection is coming, that he's fucked up their whole friendship all because he couldn't keep his feelings in check.

Her hand reaches out to grip his arm which stops him in his tracks as he slowly lifts his gaze, reluctantly meeting her eyes but he doesn't find any trace of resentment in her eyes as he expected to. Instead she looks at him as she always does, although there seems to be relief written across her face at hearing the speculation confirmed. He feels the hand on his arm pull slightly and he lets her guide him back into their earlier position as he readjusts the blanket around them. They settle back at ease in the knowledge that their feelings are reciprocated as the film begins playing again and sure they need to talk about it but now is not the time, for now they are just them as they always have been happy with each other and their friends who love them dearly even if they are both idiots in love.