Christmas Market - Steve Harrington x Fem!Reader

When Steve had mentioned to her about them going to the city for the annual Christmas market, she had jumped at the chance. “We’ll probably end up with the kids tagging along but I thought we could make a date out of it” he’d said, a smile growing on his face when he saw how excited she was.

So that’s how they ended up one Saturday morning in December huddled up in Steve’s car, she’d sat up front with Steve much to the boys dismay as it meant they were crammed into the back like a tin of sardines. They didn’t hold back with the complaints either, “You need a bigger car” Dustin had grumbled, more annoyed than Mike or Lucas as he had ended up stuck in the middle of the two.

“Suck it up, it’s not like you’ll be there all day” Steve replied with a frustrated glance in the rearview mirror where he caught Dustin’s gaze. They were only fifteen minutes into the drive to Indianapolis and she could already tell that he was already regretting the decision to invite the kids along. She reached over to where his hand was resting against the steering wheel giving it a gentle squeeze of reassurance and a smile when he looked her way just to remind him she was there for him and after that his body seemed to relax a bit more. The small moment didn’t go unnoticed by the kids as the resounding groans and a mutter of ‘gross’ was heard in the back but the two of them just laughed it off.

By the time Steve had parked the car, he looked about ready to tear his hair out and before he even let the boys out of the car he turned to them, “You know the rules now repeat them back to me” he said sternly, almost glaring at each boy in turn as she sat back and watched the scene play out.

The resounding groans were silenced when Steve reminded them that he was serious and he would turn back around if they couldn’t tell him, “We stick together, no talking to strangers and we have to be back to the car for 5” they repeated back which seemed to satisfy Steve as he let them go telling them to have fun, “Okay mom” Dustin shot back as he climbed out of the car.

The unexpectedness of his reply made her burst with laughter and Steve turned to her with a pout, “sorry, sorry but he’s right you know mom’s and their rules” she chuckled softly, leaning over to kiss his cheek which she knew would always make him smile and he did. “It’s cute how much you care for them, you’ll be a good dad one day” she adds, as a funny look comes over him that she can only describe as somewhere between lovestruck and longing but before she can say anything about it, he’s opening the car door.

“Are you coming, we can’t let the kids be the only ones having fun” he smiles brightly, completely different to the frustration he was carrying when they first parked up,

She was quick to follow him out, wrapping her scarf around her neck as he linked his hand with hers as soon as she was in reach and pulling her along with him. They pass stalls selling all kinds of gifts, handmade crafts and lots of food stalls that all smell delicious, they stop at each and every stall that catches their attention whether it’s just to admire some of the craft work or if they bought something as a gift. She’s glad she brought a bag with her as it’s now full of little bits she and Steve had bought throughout the afternoon and when Steve looks at his watch he frowns a little.

“So we still have a little time before we need to meet the kids, what do you say we grab a hot chocolate?” he suggests, already leading the way to the stall they passed earlier. “Come on my treat” he adds, pulling her along and giving her no choice.

“Cream and marshmallows, just how I know you like it” Steve smiles, handing her the takeout cup and sitting next to her on the bench. They drink in silence watching the crowds of people weaving in and out of each other, smiling to themselves at the joy on the faces of people around them until Steve glances her way and chuckles.

“What?” she asks, confused as she turns to find his eyes on her.

“You got a little something, here” he says, still amused as he reaches a hand forward to wipe the cream off her top lip.

“Thanks mom” she laughs, referring to Dustin’s earlier teasing as Steve just shakes his head at her but he’s smiling. “What do you bet that they are going to come back with all the sweet treats they could find?” she laughs.

“Yeah, as if they need any more sugar, especially Henderson it's like the kid is on a sugar rush 24/7” he agrees, unable to hide the shiver that runs through his body. The air had gotten chillier since they had arrived and the jacket he had worn was definitely not enough to keep him warm.

“Are you cold?” she asks, not missing the way he shivered, “you know it’s usually you telling me off for not wearing a warm enough coat and now look at you” she giggles, not giving him a chance to answer before she’s unravelling her scarf, shifting across the bench so she’s sitting close enough to him that their thighs are pressed together and wrapping it back around the two of them.

“I don’t know if this is going to help but I’m not complaining” he smiles, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her even closer to him so that she is almost sitting on his lap. He’s also very aware of how close her face now is to his own and he’s debating whether or not to give in a kiss her despite the disapproving looks they probably get for being the ‘teenagers that can’t keep their hands off each other’ but she makes the decision for him, leaning in and pressing her lips to his.

His eyes flutter closed immediately as he allows himself to bask in the feeling of her kisses, soft but insistent as her lips move deftly over his own. They only part when a cough from behind startles them apart and they turn to find a mother with a stroller and a little boy clinging tightly to her arm, clearly wanting the bench they’re currently occupying and upon looking around they see just how busy the area has gotten.

“Sorry” she mumbles, standing up and pulling Steve with her so that he doesn't get strangled by the scarf still wrapped snugly around them both, so that she can have the bench. “We should probably get back to the car” she adds to him, cheeks flushed and he’s not sure if it's the getting caught or the cold that’s caused it but he nods.

He’s unwilling to let her go with the scarf just yet, wanting to keep it and her closer to him for as long as he can so when she goes to unravel it so that they can walk more comfortably he stops her, instead he wraps an arm around her waist again which pulls her into his side and allows them to walk a little bit easier towards the car. When they get there, she’s unsurprised to find that the kids aren’t there just yet, knowing that they’ll be trying to stretch the time for as long as possible.

Twisting in his hold so she’s facing him, she leans back against the car door, “you know I'm gonna need this back now so that we can get in the car” she smiles up at him with wide innocent eyes as her hands toy with the ends of the scarf. Though instead of unwrapping it like he expects her to, she pulls him in with it so that they’re as close as they were minutes earlier and he catches the shine of her eyes just as she pushes closer, her lips capturing his again. 

She can feel the smile on his lips as he kisses her, his hands coming to rest on her waist as their lips dance together in a way that has her groaning into his mouth. Her body heats from the feeling his lips give her, more than any scarf or coat could ever do and she knows he’s just as warm as she slips her hands under his jacket, then his top until they’re resting against his bare skin making him hiss at the contact of her icy touch.

“God dammit, really?” Dustin’s voice filled with disbelief reaches their ears, startling them apart for the second time in the past ten or so minutes.

“Did you even leave the car?” Lucas teases, pretending to ignore the fullness of the bag that's still hanging from her shoulder as Dustin and Mike snicker beside him. 

Steve rolls his eyes at their teasing as she bites her lip to suppress the embarrassed laughter bubbling up inside of her. “Yeah joke all you like, just wait until it’s you who gets caught” Steve shoots back waiting until they’re climbing into the car before he turns his attention back to her, “Let’s get rid of the little shit’s and then it’s just us” Steve smiles, both of them laughing when Dustin shouts that he heard that but giving it no more thought as he presses a kiss to her forehead before finally unwrapping himself from the scarf. Then they’re climbing into the car ready to head home with their spoils from the day and the need to warm up.