~23~

5 years later

Enid swam calmly through the deep blue water, her hair flowing out behind her. A small, content smile was spread across her ruby red lips as she gazed around at the scenery. Up ahead, the colourful stones that formed the coral reef slowly appeared in view - her home.

She swam up and over the barrier, stopping for a moment. She watched the sirens down below move about - some in groups, some alone, others off on their own for privacy. Enid's smile widened, and she took a long, deep breath before entering the coral reef.

Most sirens who saw her approach hurriedly moved out of the way and bowed. Others nodded their heads to her in greeting, to which she returned before swimming up to her nest in the cave. At the entrance awaited Kailani, her graying hair tied in a neat braid that rested over her shoulder.

"Good morning, Kailani," Enid greeted, dipping her head. "My Queen." Enid's smile thinned at the siren's words, and she moved towards the back of the cave. A small, makeshift desk had been woven from seaweed, and there were two compact orbs of glowing algae for lights.

Enid picked up the small, silver locket that rested on the desk, and her shoulders sagged. The heart-shaped music box had been the only trinket that Asherah left behind in the sand before she died. It remained in Enid's nest, never to see the light of day again or to play its sickening tune.

Enid's frown slowly appeared on her face, and she placed the trinket back on the desk. He was still out there, roaming the sea with his crew, but it had been five years since Enid had last seen him. Once every so often, on a day Enid would least expect, she felt her chest clench and constrict.

It would happen more and more often as time went on, but Enid never acted on the instinctive urge. At least I know my love is still alive... "My Queen!" Enid spun around at the new voice, and three sirens appeared at the entrance to her cave.

The siren who spoke advanced, panting slightly in exhaustion, which confused the older siren. "Nori, what is the matter?" Enid asked, approaching the young sirens. "It's the Freelance, your Highness." Enid froze at the ship name, and she straightened out as her thoughts raced.

"You told us to warn you whenever that ship would be in danger-" Nori was saying, but Enid had interrupted. She swam out of her nest, stopping by the elder siren's side who had a knowing look on her face. "Watch the coral reef, Kailani," Enid said, then sped away. I'm coming...

~~~~

Enid swam out into the open sea, well away from any land or city. The clouds had quickly rolled in as she travelled, and the rain fell in large, heavy droplets. This is no weather to travel in...what could he possibly be doing out here? she thought, looking up to the sky when she heard thunder.

Her chest suddenly tightened painfully, making Enid stop and gasp. She clutched her chest as she gritted her teeth, her claws beginning to pinch her skin. He must be nearby. A muffled explosion made her look up at the surface, and she saw a cloud of smoke fly into the air.

No! Enid propelled out of the water, her tail splitting in two and her wings fanning out. The Freelance was lit up in flames, and another ship was sailing away from the wreck. Her blood boiled in her veins and her fists curled, and Enid let out a blood-chilling screech.

She soared down towards the fleeing ship, a golden energy shield forming around her as she picked up speed. She crossed her arms in front of her face just as she collided with the ship, causing it to explode all around her.

She entered the water once more but only for a moment, and she quickly resurfaced. She narrowed her eyes at the pitiful wooden remains of the ship, its sinking sail and dying sailors. She glared at the numerous, glowing souls that rose from the water, but she did not guide them.