~28~

Where could she be? It had been two or three days since Enid left in search of the Trident of Poseidon. Davy Jones was left on the shores of Port Royal where she first left him, a place that made him scowl in disgust, but he refused to leave the safety of the town.

She'll return soon...I know she will. As the dawn of the third day began to creep up through the sky, Davy Jones felt a disturbance at sea. He weakly approached the sea water as it swayed back and forth across the sand, and he reached one hand out to touch it.

He had grown incredibly thin over the course of the past few days, for he deprived himself of any food in case his beloved Enid would return. Jones plunged his whole arm down into the cold seawater, and it began to swirl gently around it.

He slowly smiled at the water but didn't remove his arm just yet. He found comfort in knowing the sea was still on his side, thanks to Enid, and that he could live in the very place he felt most at peace. She will come back, and all will be well again, he told himself.

He looked out at the horizon as the sun rose higher in the sky, and Davy Jones looked back at the town behind him. He frowned when his stomach growled painfully and shook his head before turning back to the sea. I have to wait for her here, he reminded himself.

Suddenly, the water that had been swirling around his arm dropped with a splash, making him look down. The water swayed back and forth frantically, it seemed, before finally settling in the sand, and the wave pulled away from him. What?

Davy Jones then stepped into the water, and he cringed at how surprisingly cold it felt against his skin. What's going on? He looked up at the horizon once more, and he spotted a streak of light fly up into the sky from further out in the ocean. Enid!

Without hesitation Davy Jones leapt into the ocean, determined to swim out to find his beloved wife. He did not get far, however, nor did he swim with the speed he had grown accustomed to. Jones looked down at himself and gasped when he saw legs instead of a tail, and he swallowed water.

Choking, he swam for the surface, breaking through with a loud gasp. He allowed the tide to carry him back to the beach, and he stayed lying in the sand as he coughed out water. Jones then slowly sat up, wheezing as he looked over at the ocean. Was the Trident truly broken?

Jones suddenly let out a groan, and he clutched at his chest as it throbbed. What is going on?! He pulled his hand away from his chest, and his eyes widened when it was stained with blood. He quickly dragged himself closer to the water and pulled his buttoned shirt open.

The gnarled scar that decorated his chest looked as though it was freshly cut, and his blood dripped into the ocean. His vision began to fade as the pain in his chest grew increasingly more unbearable, and he fell over in the sand.

If the Trident truly was broken... Davy Jones felt his eyes begin to flutter shut, and he had no energy to try and force them to stay open. Then we are both now human once again... His eyes finally slipped closed, and he allowed the sound of the waves to soothe him. 

And she cannot live without her heart, nor me without mine...

~~~~

The pirates finally docked their ship at the first populated island they could find. Captain Barbossa allowed Jack Sparrow to steer the ship, and he stayed near the bow as the others stepped off the ship. 

He ignored any attempt the crew tried to make to get him to join them, and he dismissed their concerns, as well. His mind was racing with incoherent thoughts as he recounted the entirety of the day. "Promise me you'll find him! At Port Royal!"