Chapter 4

"Agent N. Attacked. Me." Lilian's voice was soft. Henry picked up the small amount of fear in her voice. How interesting.. He thought.

"And then you knocked him out!" Henry continued glaring at her.

"He deserved it!" Lilian tried to tug her hands free. Henry didn't let her go.

"He's my friend!" Henry snapped out. Lilian flinched again. She twisted her wrists forcibly free and slipped away. Henry's foot tripped her. Henry, almost involuntary, lunged forward, catching her before she hit the ground. He saw legitimate pain in her eyes. It couldn't have come from her tripping. Pushing herself away from him, Lilian scrambled to her feet, limping away from him. "Does your leg still hurt?" He asked, straightening and following her. She didn't answer. Henry grabbed her wrist, turning her quickly. "I'm used to being answered, Lilian." His voice dropped, sending a shiver up Lilian's spine. His hand slid down to her waist. She flinched, pushing his hand away. Henry caught a smidge of pain before she could clear her voice.

"Sorry to disappoint." Her voice was tight. Henry narrowed his eyes. "I'm fine." She added, pushing his hand away again. Henry was curious as to why she guarded that spot.

Henry moved quickly to bypass her defense, pressing on her hip. An involuntary cry of pain escaped Lilian. The reason registered in Henry's mind rather quickly. "You've been shot!"

"M- mind y- your own b- business!" She tried to push his hand away. Henry increased the pressure he was applying. Lilian's jaw snapped shut, teeth grinding against each other.

"When were you shot?" He asked softly. Lilian didn't answer. He applied more pressure. Lilian's vision began to darken, trying to get away from him. In doing so, it made her situation worse. "Answer and I'll let you go." He offered. Lilian gasped softly, breaking down.

"T- two d- days!" Lilian's voice was high-pitched and strained.

"Who shot you?" He started to release the pressure. Lilian's lips pressed together in a firm line. He rolled his eyes and applied pressure again.

"I do- don't know!! An a- agent!" She screeched, finally kicking free. She fell to the ground, feeling very light-headed. Lilian curled into a ball, trying to ignore the pounding headache and the pain surging through her. Henry was frozen for some moments.

"An agent... shot you?" Henry's mouth moved silently for several moments before he could form coherent words. Lilian's whole body was trembling. "Was it an accident?" Lilian said nothing. He walked over, kneeling beside her. "Tell me what happened." He used his ability to get inside her head. Lilian was in too much pain - and anxiety - to fight him.

"A- agent was training. O- other a- agent. w- walked in w- with a g- gun. T- tried to sh- shoot the o- other ag- agent. I t- took the h- hit." Lilian stuttered, voice muffled.

"Which agent was the shooter trying to kill?" Henry kept his voice persuasive.

"A- Agent Z..." Lilian stayed curled up in a ball, head tucked away. "H- he said h- he w- would k- kill m- me if I s- said any- anything." She whispered. Henry saw the scared highschooler he'd been tailing for weeks underneath all her bravado.

"May I see?" Henry wasn't sure he wanted to. Lilian didn't move. He leaned closer, slowly pushing her flat on her back. Lilian flinched, although she didn't fight him. Just stared at him nervously. Pulling her shirt up a little bit, he inhaled sharply. He muttered something under his breath. Two bullet holes were covered with dried blood. The skin around the wounds was red, clearly infected. "Sleep." He ordered. Lilian couldn't fight the overwhelming voice in her head and closed her eyes, muscles relaxing. Tucking her shirt back in, Henry slid his hands under her, picking her up carefully. "Manna, turn off the cameras before I get in the view." He walked out and headed for the healing center.