Chapter 12

Sirius had spent way too long running around the house in circles calling out for James and Remus until he finally spotted Remus. He could finally let out a well-needed breath, he thought he'd never find him.

"Moony!" Sirius shouted as he nearly ran right into the werewolf.

"Padfoot, what are you doing here?" He questioned.

"Um, looking for you?" He stated, pointing out the obvious. "You and Prongs have been missing for over an hour, where the hell have you been, and where's Jamsie?"

"What do you mean, 'where is he'? He stayed at the library with you, Regulus and Peter, didn't he?" Remus questioned, worriedly.

"No! He went to get his invisibility cloak, he wasn't that far behind you," Sirius explained.

"Well, I haven't seen him," Remus stated.

"Dammit, Regulus better have found him,"

Sirius and Remus continued to talk for a few minutes before deciding to head back upstairs to see if Regulus had found James in his room. It had been long enough that if he were in his room, they had probably already returned to the library to where Peter was supposed to be awaiting their return.

James' room was empty, as suspected. The room appeared to be empty, not surprising considering they had packed up all of their belongings. All that was left in his room were a few robes and boxes that were in the closet, the door for which had been left open.

"He's probably back in the library, it has been over an hour after all," Remus concluded.

"It took over an hour to find you and you're still not back in the library," Sirius sassily pointed out.

"Yeah, but you said Regulus was checking the rooms, right? I'm sure they've gone back to the library, it's worth checking before wandering around aimlessly for the next hour," Remus explained, and that's what they did, after making a detour and heading back downstairs of course.

The two decided to hold off on going back to the library for just a bit longer, they wanted tea, and the manor was cool and drafty. Remus hadn't had tea since the nightmare, it didn't seem right after standing there sipping tea while Regulus started to choke on the poisoned tea. Of course he never actually killed anyone, it was just a dream after all, but he was going to ignore the gut feeling that had been sticking with him ever since they awoke from the dream.

Sirius put the kettle on the stove and sat on the counter.

"Do you hear that?" He questioned.

"Hm? Yeah, it's probably just a mouse," Remus shrugged it off.

"But where Moony? Where is it?" Sirius asked, looking pale.

"Are you afraid of mice?" Remus questioned, amazed at how of all things, Sirius Black was afraid of mice. He wasn't afraid of Wormtail, he didn't think so at least, but he was afraid of mice.

"They're small tiny things that run around the house and chew on things, they get into the food supply and spread diseases, who would enjoy mice, Moony? Because they're bizarre." Sirius stated.

Remus wanted to laugh at how worked up his boyfriend got over the topic of mice. "You're a dog, Sirius, they're more scared of you than you're scared of them,"

"No. No, they are not. Mice live in groups, I'm the minority, they have an army to back them up, they aren't scared of anything," Sirius spoke defensively.

"Do you speak of an experience? Have you been targeted by a family of mice recently?" Remus questioned.

"Well not recently, and I don't know if they're a family, I mean they didn't bother to stop and explain their relations," Sirius began to rant.

"Wow, good thing it wasn't a mouse we heard then," Remus said once Sirius finished his trauma dump.

"What?" Sirius questioned, confused.

"Yeah, it was just a squirrel," He nodded his head to where a squirrel ran across the top of the cabinets, making Sirius jump off the counter, leaping as far away as possible.

The squirrel must have found its way into the house and had probably been living in the walls, finding warmth away from the cool winter weather.

"Moony! Why is the outdoor rodent inside!" Sirius shouted dramatically.

"I don't know, why don't you ask it," Remus stated sarcastically. Just then the kettle finished boiling so he reached to turn the stove off, pouring the boiling water into each of their mugs.

The squirrel ended up running out of the kitchen once the kettle started whistling, leaving it lost inside the manor, much to Sirius' dislike.

Tea ready, the two Gryffindor boys walked back upstairs and made their way back to the library to find a worried James and Regulus.

"Fucking finally," Regulus muttered under his breath. "Did you two take your time making tea?" Regulus exclaimed. Peter was still missing and no one seemed to have listened when they talked about being quick to return.

"Firstly, the manor is cold," Sirius defended. "And second, where's Wormtail?" He questioned after noticing his missing friend.

"We don't know, we've been here for the past hour, he wasn't here when I returned with Potter," You could clearly hear the annoyance in Regulus' voice. If people could just stick to the plan and not wander off, things would be a hundred times better.

"Maybe we shouldn't have left him alone," Sirius scrunched his nose.

"Welp, he's either dead or an idiot who can't stay still for a quick hour." Regulus rolled his eyes. Perhaps an hour was a bit too long to leave someone all alone while there was a murderer on the loose, maybe he had gone out looking for the other four because he got worried, but now he was missing and no one knew where he could be.

"Maybe, he got scared off by the squirrel," Sirius suggested.

"Who's scared of squirrels?" James questioned. "They're cute, got fluffy tails and make a funny squeaky sound,"

They might have begun to go a bit off track with their conversation, but they eventually, with the aid of Regulus and Remus, got back on track to the topic at hand, Peter was still missing and they needed to find him. They immediately eliminated the option of splitting up, they weren't going through that hassle again. Instead, they decided that they were staying put and would hope that Peter would return on his own.

The group sat on the couch, waiting, and waiting.

In all honesty, Peter would be the most likely to survive a murder attempt because of his small animagus form. As a rat, he could easily escape, being such a small and fast target.