Signal Kdrama Review

Maybe you're thinking about the reason why I placed Steins;Gate which is a Japanese Anime beside Signal

Maybe you're thinking about the reason why I placed Steins;Gate which is a Japanese Anime beside Signal. For one, they do have a lot of similarities and a few differences.

1. They both change the past and future not by time machines but phones. In Signal, they use a walkie-talkie while in Steins;Gate, they use phone. Even so, in Steins Gate, Dmails- messages sent to the past revolves into a time machine in the end. In Signal, in my opinion, the walkie-talkie in the future which Park Hae Young receives suddenly had an ability to send messages to the past and future to its old owner. The mystery of the walkie talkie was left unexplained.

2. The two stories tackle changing the past and changing the future while hoping to save the person who passed away in the original timelines.

3. Butterfly Effect and Switching Worldlines. Signal didn't explain this further but the two stories tackle this scientific theory very well. What is Butterfly Effect? It is a property of chaotic systems (such as the atmosphere) by which small changes in initial conditions can lead to large-scale and unpredictable changes in the future. The two stories know that there is possible danger waiting when changing even the smallest things in the past and that affects the future.

In Steins Gate, Okabe Rintarou was the only one who realizes the same changes that happen when the past was changed and the future changed, too while in Signal, it was only Park Hae Young who can realize that the past and future has changed. As you might remember, one change in the past changed a lot of things in the future may it be for good or bad.

4. The past and future people help each other out to make changes. It was only subtle in Steins;Gate as the help from the future was also Okabe Rintarou and the same people from the past and future help each other. Okabe Rintarou helps himself from the future by sending D-mails (Text messages or his own memories) by which was made by the scientist named Makise Kurisu (girl who died in the original timeline).

In Signal, Park Hae Young sends signals, help, and warning through the walkie-talkie. Park Hae Young and Lee Jae Han help each other out by investigating together until they reached the timeline wherein they were able to save people that needed saving while in Steins Gate, Okabe Rintarou do try to change the past and future himself with the help of his friends as he was the only one who receives signals from the future.

5. Reading Steiner: If Signal and Steins;Gate are in the same universe, Park Hae Young and Okabe Rintarou both possess this ability. Park Hae Young got it from having been exposed to the walkie talkie. Cha Soo Hyun also had it after realizing what it was. Meanwhile, in Steins; Gate, Okabe Rintarou had it naturally. They were all able to observe the changes in their environment after switching worldlines.

So, those are the few things that I observed while watching Signal. In short, I enjoyed Signal as much as I loved Steins;Gate due to their hige similarities. The only huge difference was that, Signal is a crime/mystery/thriller and they solve crimes to change the past and future while Steins;Gate was the huge Science Fiction series. Even still, I was thankful of Steins;Gate as I was able to understand what was going on easily in Signal since I know the scientific theories they both used in their stories. Without it, I will definitely be confused by what's going on. It isn't easy to watch Signal. Watching Time Travel stories truly needs focus on small details, after all, most especially, if they added mystery/crime in there.

Rating: 10/10